'99 A6 2.8Q

Breaks are making loud squealing noise when applied. Had a tech check it. Pads are about half used and rotors look OK. No other apparent problems. Any ideas regarding how one might fix this - short of putting new pads/rotors on? I have a pair of noise cancelling headphones as an alternative, but then I can't hear my wife barking at me :-). Hmmm.

Reply to
Dale Webler

Copper grease between the pads and the pistons usually helps.

Reply to
Grizzly

And chamfering the edges of the pads slightly helps too.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

As odd as it sounds, Dale, try applying grease on the back side of the pads where they contact the caliper puck. Because the pads are pressed against the rotors when brakes are applied, they want to rotate with wheel... the caliper housing keeps them from moving---but they still oscillate a little. If the backside of the pads are dry, the slippage between the puck and the dry brake pad (as the brakes are applied) is enough to make a squeeling noise. If everything else is fine, that should fix the problem. Robert

Reply to
RG

Thanks to all for the feedback. I'll follow up on the grease fix.

Reply to
Dale Webler

Reply to
JimV