'99 A6 passenger window problem

I had the front passenger side window act up on me today on our '99 A6 Avant. When I went to close it, it went up very slowly and stopped about 3/4 of the way up. I lowered it and tried again w/ similar results. I
then raised it and 'helped' it by pressing out and upward on the glass w/ it closing completely. At the time this occurred I did not hear any strange noises or anything else unusual. Any BTDT? Thanks
I have the same problem with a 99 A6Q. I think I've seen in previous posts that the window rails need to be lubed at the least. At worst motor must be replaced. Requires opening the door panel to access the interior of the window well. Not for the faint of heart (read not mechanical minded). Time consuming also (read as expensive for shop). How badly do you need the window to operate? :)

Andy wrote:

Have a look here.
http://www.piglet-net.net/tech/cars/a3-window.html
This is the repair on my A3, but the A6 is very similar- I got the part number from an A6 owner.
There is a small plastic clip that breaks.
Well...it's not quite a new motor replacement, but this is well beyond my mechanical/patience level. That's why I asked "how badly do you need the window to work?:. :) Thanks for the process details and pictures.

Dale Webler wrote:

It's really not that hard. Took a couple of hours the first time (swapping the regulator), but the other window, (just replacing the clip) i did in about 40 min.