A2 fuel economy

I bought my A2 1.4 diesel about 5 months ago and I've been getting a fairly consistent fuel usage of about 45mpg with a mix of urban and motorway miles.

Now, 45 isn't exactly poor, but I've been led to expect figures way in advance of that (like 60 or even 80 mpg from the diesel model)

It's been in for a full service and had the filters changed with no noticeable improvement. Can you think of any reason I'd be getting such bad performance from it?

It's done less than 40,000 miles.

Reply to
mark

Fairly normal, I would say. My wife's A2 TDi is used mainly off motorway, and she gets just over 50 mpg (using BP Ultimate - which gives slightly better mileage than Shell). I find that the consumption drops quite dramatically as road speed rises - at 70mph the DIS shows around 45mpg. If you keep the speed down to 60mph, then you can easily achieve well in excess of 50mpg.

We have owned the car from new, and it has around 30k on the clock.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Reply to
mark

Well I'm not sure about that. I get 50 - 55 mpg from my 1.9 TDi A6 so I'd expect you to get more than what your getting.

Reply to
billmywall

Trouble is, I've no idea what would cause it to be abnormally low. Engine management unit? Aircon?

Reply to
mark

A lot of A2 owners would love to know how!

Reply to
Peter Bell

management unit? Aircon?

Sorry I can't be any help. All I know is that I run my A6 with air con on and get 50-55mpg. The petrol version of the A2 is supposed to get your reported mpg so either there's a problem somewhere or you've got a really heavy right foot. :(

Reply to
billmywall

I'd like to know how! Our A4 1.9TDi only averages around 40MPG and the best I've seen is 46MPG over a 560 mile which was 90% motorway/dual-carriageway. Annoyingly DIS reported almost 52MPG which is pretty pants considering how accurate the fueling is supposed to be. You'd think they'd be able to make a trip computer that actually got close the the real mpg.

A neighbour of mine got an A2 TDi when they first came out. He boasted of getting more than 80mpg on a motorway run while sitting at about 65mph so I'd think that 45 is quite poor unless the journeys are normally quite short.

Reply to
Dave

I suspect that there was a large dose of wishful thinking involved in this claim!

Reply to
Peter Bell

We used to have a 1.4TDi Polo (the same engine as the A2), and got about

50ish MPG out of it, driven quite hard- not thrashed, but accelrating quite hard. Oddly enough, I get about the same out of my 1.9TDi A3, which is heavier and more powerful. I just think that the 1.4 is only very economical driven slowly/gently- but that's no fun.
Reply to
Chris Bartram

That does seem low. I'd say I drive 80% motorway and 20% urban. On motorways I'd drive between 65 and 80mph. I don't put my foot down an awful lot but wouldn't say I was extra careful either. I consistently get 50 - 55mpg. Incidentally I used to have an 1.6 A4 petrol and that used to average about 33mpg.

Reply to
billmywall

Hi Mark

I also have the same car with 32000 miles on the clock. I have had it for 9 months and have carried out checks throughout for MPG. I fill the tank to the brim, then drive it until its empty, then refill again. MPG has varied between 55 and 63.8. I was getting 55 when I first got the car, and I was 'comparing it with other cars', and 'seeing what it would do' over a couple of weeks. When I 'settled down', the best I was getting, going between on long motorways was 57 (full up) , the best ever was when I took the rear seats out and drove it for a week going to work, with no passengers - 35 miles each way on A and B roads. The fuel cost me pennies under £25.00, giving me the 63.8 MPG. So questions to ask; Are you a really careful driver. Do you carry excess rubbish in the back. Do you give the car too much welley all the time.

Reply to
william asty

That seems quite remarkable - what speed were you cruising at on the motorways?

The 'official' extra-urban figure of 78.5 is very difficult to understand when the DIS (which has a tendency to be optimistic) gives a reading in the low 50s when cruising at a steady 70mph. Push it to over

75 and the reading definitely drops below 50mpg.

In general I tend to be a reasonably economical driver - the average consumption on my RS6, having covered 24k miles, is better than 23mpg (most people report figures of less than 20mpg).

Reply to
Peter Bell

Peter

Cruising was around 75. I tend to travel on motorways from 7 pm as its much quieter then with minimum slowing down then building up your speeds again. I have tried various makes of diesel, and I prefer shell, although the local Tesco invariably goes in between the 3/4 monthly long trips. I has a long haul to get cruise fitted a few months ago, and was stuck in traffic for about twenty minutes getting there. Coming back at around 75 to 80, I got

61.8 with the rear seats removed, the rear cover and the false cover. Its quite surprising how nippy the car is when you travel without those items. In general, with the odd town driving and weekend visits to other local towns via the motorway, with two up, and the seats back in, it varies between 57 and 59. What I have found that cruise certainly helps to keep your speeds down overall. I certainly do not trust on board computers. Filling the tank up, and taking your time...as it takes ages, is the best method to establish MPG. The previous owner of the car also advised it provided excellent economy, but he could not provide any figures.

Bill

Reply to
william asty