A3 Coolant Warning

Hi All,
My first Audi: an A3 1.8T Sport with DIS (onboard computer)
We have had a lot of very cold weather as I live directly next to the north sea :( and went to my local VW dealer (nearest Audi dealer is 100+ miles
away) for advice on long life anti freeze (the red stuff audi uses) and if it needed topping up before the onset of winter.
The ever so friendly mechanic told me that if its servicing was up to date then antifreeze should be fine as long as its up to the level (it is).
Start up the other day .... DIS performs self-check = OK then after couple of minutes of running (before I set off) the "Critical Coolant Warning" came on - so I switched off and checked the engine.
Coolant level was fine, coolant temp couldnt be too hot (just switched on engine) - any ideas what could have triggered it?
Any advice for a newbie appreciated. Dan.

north
came
Could be the switch thats on the way out or not adjusted properly.
"Graham" wrote in message

couple
on
Exactly the same happened to my wife's -98 A4 Avant 1.6 only days after delivery. Dealer took it away on a flatbed truck and performed what they described as a "Ctrl-Alt-Del" on the computer. To be absolutely sure they changed the sensor for coolant level/temp (?) some months later. We still have the car and this problem has never appeared again.
Rune S.
Thanks for the replies.
Well the cold (-5C) weather has gone and everything looks fine, have used car several times since.
Its going for a service next week so will have to mention it then. I wonder if the very cold weather caused the water to contract and the level to drop and as engine got warm it expanded again and came back to level... Who knows?!