A3 rear wash/wipe problem

My 2000 A3 used to spray water on the rear window as soon as I pushed the stalk forward - now I have to hold it forward for 5 secs, when I can hear the power activating but no water immediately.
Any ideas as to the cause? The reservoir is totally full and I have cleared the nozzle with a pin. For what it's worth the front nozzles work fine. I can't see how a blocked water line would cause a delay, surely it would just not work at all?
Thanks
--
Alex

cleared
just
On my 1999 S3, the tube had come adrift in the rear hatch, IIRC. -- Doug Ramage

the
hear
A very common problem (to me anyway), its happened to my 97 A3 at least three times. The last time they had to remove the CD changer to fix it.

fine.
would
Cheers for the replies.
But would it still work in that situation, as mine does, albeit slowly. Variable service coming up so I'll mention it then.

I would imagine it will, the only problem being that if its hanging off, every time you use it, its spraying water and whatever else you have in the tank into the boot. Not a good thing IMO.