A3 Service Indicator - Premature?

I have a 2000 A3 1.6 and the service computer has recently started saying 'Service in 800 miles' on startup, but I think this is premature. It had its second variable service in July 04 and has done less than

8000 miles since then (27000 total), so the next service shouldn't be due for another 8 months. Am I right? Is there any way the service computer could be confused? This could be a coincidence, but this started happening after I put the clock back on Sunday. If I take it to an Audi dealar will they be able to check if it really does need a service, or will they just tell me to get it done anyway?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
Phil Devaney

Isn't it a variable interval on those?

If so, it's determined by the kind of driving you do, given that you obviously do lots of very short runs, then the interval will be shorter than those for a car that does lots of motorway miles.

Reply to
SteveH

Yup, this comes within the Audi "Longlife" service regime for variable servicing intervals so figures out when it needs attention depending on how your driving.

I believe it bases it on sensors in the engine/ oil viscosity etc so more short journeys=service more frequently and so on.

Even so: it's not too far out from the traditional audi servicing system. My book for my A3 1.8T says it needs service every 10k.

Reply to
dan_xtc

It checks othe oil, and driving style, and apparently how often the bonnet is opened. My TDi did about 24k on the last service, but I don't do short trips, and do a fair bit of motorway driving.

I think it should never be less than a traditional 10K mile service interval, and it can be up to 2 years/30000 miles.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I do mainly short trips to work & back every day, about 4 miles, and the occasional longer trip up the motorway every couple of months, so I guess that is what has affected it.

Thanks for everyone's help

Reply to
Phil Devaney

If your still having problems have a look at the below. I posted a reply to a chap who was after reseting the service intervals on a A3 - try search the below..

Thanks

Reply to
RickT