A3 suspected cluth problem???

Hi all,
got my car serviced 3 weeks ago, but since then it has had a strange problem. I think the clutch may be slipping. Changing gear is fine, but when
you floor it in 3rd, 4th or 5th while cruising, the revs shoot up by a few hundred rpm, then drop as if I was riding the clutch pedal and engaging the gear. It is very strange. It is a 1997 A3 1.8i manual.
Has anyone else encountered a problem like this, and if so, was it the clutch?
chars.
Ian Cox wrote:

Hi, it seems strange that you get this in the longest gears. I would rather expect to see this happening in e.g. 2nd but less so in 5th, if the clutch was worn. My reasoning has to do with the amount of torque applied in the respective gears.
Apart from that I can't help you, sorry. /Robert

Strangely enough, clutch slip is always worse in the higher gears.

-- Jay. (remove dashes for legal email address)
If you imagine the engine connected through the clutch to a minute cog which drives a massive cog connected to the wheels then it is easy for the engine to supply the power. If you then consider an engine connected through the clutch to a massive cog trying to drive a tiny cog connected to the wheels you can see why the clutch has difficulty. If the clutch were positioned between the gearbox and the wheels then the clutch would slip in the lower gears first.
Peter