a4 1.8T 5V fuel filter location

Hi all,
I'm tuning up an 1997 A4 1.8T 5V. There appears to be a cannister with banjo fittings near the fuel tank, but it cannot be removed unless the tank
is dropped down. I followed the fuel lines from front to back and that canister is the only one I see. Furthermore, the bosch fuel filter I recieved from my local jobber appears to be different from the cannister near the tank.
Has anyone else replaced a fuel filter on this car, and if so, how did you do it?
Jason P.
Jason Powless wrote:

If you find out, let me know. I had my 1997 2.8q A4 tuned up & changed timing belt last month. The dealer said that the filter is "good for the life of the car" which I find very difficult to believe. The service writer said that he'd never seen one changed in 8 years working for Audi.
--
Vic
2000 Mustang GT

Take a look at the following write up:
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/722730.phtml
It's for a 99 1.8t I believe but should be similar for other similar models (2.8 or S4).
- Charlie
Audiworld has the procedure with pictures on the website.