A4 1.8T buying advice please

Hi all,
I'm interested in buying an A4 1.8T Avant and was wondering what to check for. I've heard there is something like a timing belt to be changed around
100k, is this right? I'm in the uk and looking at spending 4000-5000, so proabably a 1996 model.
Was there anything specific to watch for on the early ones?
Anything about them greatly appreciated.
Many TIA
Jon E
In typed:

Maybe the dealer just got tired of you "ranting" and all, and told you what he "needed" to get you to leave!? ;o) I dont think many of us inhere agree with you - that a 100k km A4 is something you should keep your hands off.
Maybe you had a bad model...one made on a monday, that was just doomed from the beginning. *s*
--
Gio
97.5 A4 1.8T Limo tt - with 206.000kms on the gauge