a4 2002 cvt - low idle vibes

Hi,

I just recently acquired a used cvt, low mileage and all...

I've noticed a vibration problem when the car comes to a full stop. The RPMS tend to drop pretty quicky between 1100 to 800 rpm (when deaccelerating down to a complete stop) and there is a noticeable vibration kicking in. On acceleration and at cruising speeds the vibes are no where to be felt and is smoother than slicing butter.

I did bring the car for a check and they claimed that it had something to do with the air throttle body which was dirty and prevented the valve from moving freely. They cleaned that up, and it seem to provide relief for a short distance of driving, but is clearly back as a problem.

Is this normal ? If it isn't, any ideas of what the problem could be ?

fyi: the ignition coils were replaced supposedly sometime in 2003.

TIA

Reply to
snoopy

Audi USA apparently has an extended warranty program for the throttle bodies on most B5 model A4s. I don't know if this is only for North America. If your car isn't under an extended factory warranty, start working over the shop manager to go look for a TSB on the throttle body problem...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

I think this warranty extension (7yrs/70K miles) was for MAF, unless there's another one for throttle body that I'm not aware of. And yes, it's only for north american models, AFAIK.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

deaccelerating

Wouldn't a 2002 be a B6? Did they ever offer B5's with the CVT?

Reply to
snoogans27

You're right - I just checked the snail-mailed notice and it was indeed for the MAF.

(Which - given how fragile MAFs tend to be is probably a "more likely to pay off special warranty"!)

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd, no MAF or TB bugs yet ;-)

Reply to
daytripper

You may well be right - I don't presume to be aware of all the various flavors of model years found on different continents, 'cuz every time I do someone says "Oh, we got that the year earlier in Australia" or some such ;-)

Otherwise, it was for the MAF not TB, but otoh, is it possible they use the same MAF part number on any models of the B6 vintage?

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Thanks for all your feedback. I'll try to lean on them to have that part replaced and hopefully resolve the vibes problem. It seems though that there is a back log of people on the waiting list to get their audi's serviced, somewhere in the order of at least 2-3 weeks lead time just to get in, does make you wonder though.

Thanks again

Reply to
snoopy