A4 '98 Heated wing mirrors

the spec on my Audi A4 2.4V6 says it has Heated Wing mirrors.
a Vauxhall CD I owned a number of years ago had superb heated mirrors as they would defrost in a minute or so. The Audi ones are very poor or maybe
not even functioning.
I have checked the fuse and its OK
What else should I use to check them out.
regs Don
As an owner of a forth Audi, I can assure you that stock Audi heated mirros work fine. They are activated whenever the rear defroster is. I have never replaced mirror glass on account of heater. Glass only (with embedded heater) or a whole mirror could be cheaply had from a scrap yard. Replacing the glass is easy. But both mirrors not to work simultaneously ? The flexing harness to the front doors tend to crack. Pull the rubber sleeve and examine the wires. Patch if required. Plamen, Toronto (1986 5000TQ, 1987 5000S, 1991 90 Q, 1993 100S)

While everyone seems to be of the opinion they are on all the time, the Haynes manual does indicate that the Mirror Heating wiring is coming from the Heated Rear Window switch circuit board. This makes me think they are on the same timer control.
The plot thickens.....
clanger

maybe

on
From the owner's manual of my '01 A4...
"At low outside temperatures the heated outside mirrors are activated automatically when the ignition is switched on."
It does not say what 'low' means, though. Also, I'm not sure sure if it changed betw. '98 and '01. It may have.
Cheers,
Pete

on
That's not the case with my '98.5 A4, I haven't been using the rear defroster much yet. But when I get out of the car after a drive and touch the mirror, they are warm. It would be interesting to find out if power to the heater is applied constantly (ignition on that is), but the actual heating element has it's own temp sensor (somebody had mentioned a thermistor). There is no indication of that in the bentley, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't come off the defroster cct, definitely not after the switch.
One of us has to figure this out once and for all... :o)
Romy

They tend to burn out (the mirrior heater that is), IIRC they're on all the time.

Check out the latest replacement mirror glass, these have a thermistor which turns off once a particular temp has been hit. Therefore the heating element is not on all the time and doesn't burn out.
Dave N

Yup, like Romy said, since they're ON most of the time (below certain temp., IIRC), the heating elements behind the glass like to burn out often. Yours is probably dead by now.
Cheers,
Pete

maybe
temp.,
Yours
Hmmm, that's what I thought originally too (it only makes sense). But after a quick look at the bentley manual, it shows no temp sensor in the heated/power mirror cct. One day I'm going to have to connect the heating element so it's controlled via the rear defrost switch. I think I saw an article on AW once doing that. I've already replaced both my mirrors, don't want to do that again once the warrenty expires.

after
Is it possible that it uses inputs from the general outside temp sensor under the front bumper (the one that gets displayed on the dashboard)?
That said, I know some versions of the heated mirrors in the past were ALWAYS on, regardless of outside temp.
Pete

And some of us 'Old Crocks' know that the even *older* ones (<'91) were connected through the rear window defogger switch and were heated only when that was on. Never seen one of them fail (although the mirrors all delaminated eventually). Why does Audi seem to keep coming up with *worse* ideas? Following the lead of BMW and Chris Bangle? -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; drove that)

when
Yeah, I've heard of that design as well. I'd actually prefer it, too.

They're trying to automate everything, like the turn signal action. On the new Audis (B6 A4 at least), when you press the turn stalk just slightly, it'll make the turn signal blink three times. But what if you hit that stalk by mistake and want to cancel?? Oh no, now you have to wait till it blinks three times. :-(
And the whole DBW (drive-by-wire) they screwed up as well, at least on the B5 A4. Sometimes when you floor it in first gear, it doesn't register and the car barely moves for a couple of seconds. Sigh...
Cheers,
Pete

as
after
don't
how do you remove the old mirrors?
how much are replacement mirrors?
thanks Don
Early 98's had ALWAYS on HEATED mirrors. SO the elements burned out. REplacements contained a thermostat behind the glass (like a piece of gum) to regulate on-off when temps dropped. If they do not get warm (they actually should get HOT), you'll need to replace the mirror glass only... VERY EASY TO DO ..
Phil
Clanger wrote:

today I costed new glass at 65 for both. Removed existing glass and both elements buzzed through OK (no burned out or broken elements) both wires going to each mirror checked out electrically OK. Though the drivers door both wires open to ground. This I do not understand because if this were the case when the ignition is switched on the fuse should blow. I know this cos I did it on the passengers side. Mirrors should be on ALL time as you state, but still no heaty.........I am puzzled, will next check out the ground thingy.
clanger

maybe

Did you mean both wires are "shorted" to ground? And how did you test for that?
Romy
sorry, both wires shorted to ground, tested with ohm meter (ignition switched off) I have yet to do same to near side wiring.
Don

both
door