A4 '98 Heated wing mirrors

the spec on my Audi A4 2.4V6 says it has Heated Wing mirrors.

a Vauxhall CD I owned a number of years ago had superb heated mirrors as they would defrost in a minute or so. The Audi ones are very poor or maybe not even functioning.

I have checked the fuse and its OK

What else should I use to check them out.

regs Don

Reply to
Clanger

Petkan

They tend to burn out (the mirrior heater that is), IIRC they're on all the time.

Reply to
Romy Singh

Yup, like Romy said, since they're ON most of the time (below certain temp., IIRC), the heating elements behind the glass like to burn out often. Yours is probably dead by now.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Hmmm, that's what I thought originally too (it only makes sense). But after a quick look at the bentley manual, it shows no temp sensor in the heated/power mirror cct. One day I'm going to have to connect the heating element so it's controlled via the rear defrost switch. I think I saw an article on AW once doing that. I've already replaced both my mirrors, don't want to do that again once the warrenty expires.

Reply to
Romy Singh

Is it possible that it uses inputs from the general outside temp sensor under the front bumper (the one that gets displayed on the dashboard)?

That said, I know some versions of the heated mirrors in the past were ALWAYS on, regardless of outside temp.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Check out the latest replacement mirror glass, these have a thermistor which turns off once a particular temp has been hit. Therefore the heating element is not on all the time and doesn't burn out.

Dave N

Reply to
DaveN

how do you remove the old mirrors?

how much are replacement mirrors?

thanks Don

Reply to
Clanger

And some of us 'Old Crocks' know that the even *older* ones (

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Reply to
Pete

While everyone seems to be of the opinion they are on all the time, the Haynes manual does indicate that the Mirror Heating wiring is coming from the Heated Rear Window switch circuit board. This makes me think they are on the same timer control.

The plot thickens.....

clanger

Reply to
Clanger

From the owner's manual of my '01 A4...

"At low outside temperatures the heated outside mirrors are activated automatically when the ignition is switched on."

It does not say what 'low' means, though. Also, I'm not sure sure if it changed betw. '98 and '01. It may have.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

That's not the case with my '98.5 A4, I haven't been using the rear defroster much yet. But when I get out of the car after a drive and touch the mirror, they are warm. It would be interesting to find out if power to the heater is applied constantly (ignition on that is), but the actual heating element has it's own temp sensor (somebody had mentioned a thermistor). There is no indication of that in the bentley, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't come off the defroster cct, definitely not after the switch.

One of us has to figure this out once and for all... :o)

Romy

Reply to
Romy Singh

Early 98's had ALWAYS on HEATED mirrors. SO the elements burned out. REplacements contained a thermostat behind the glass (like a piece of gum) to regulate on-off when temps dropped. If they do not get warm (they actually should get HOT), you'll need to replace the mirror glass only... VERY EASY TO DO ..

Phil

Clanger wrote:

Reply to
Phil

today I costed new glass at £65 for both. Removed existing glass and both elements buzzed through OK (no burned out or broken elements) both wires going to each mirror checked out electrically OK. Though the drivers door both wires open to ground. This I do not understand because if this were the case when the ignition is switched on the fuse should blow. I know this cos I did it on the passengers side. Mirrors should be on ALL time as you state, but still no heaty.........I am puzzled, will next check out the ground thingy.

clanger

Reply to
Clanger

Did you mean both wires are "shorted" to ground? And how did you test for that?

Romy

Reply to
Romy Singh

sorry, both wires shorted to ground, tested with ohm meter (ignition switched off) I have yet to do same to near side wiring.

Don

Reply to
Clanger