A4 Airbag indicator light

For a few days now, my airbag indicator light has stayed on instead of extinguishing after starting. My local Audi dealer says it will need a full diagnostic session to determine the problem.

However, after that my wallet and heart are likely to need a full diagnostic session at the thought of the likely bill heading my way. Does anyway have any experience of the likely causes and costs of remedy?

I'm guessing that wiring to the seat belt pretensioners or the bags themselves might be the cause. Is there anything I can diagnose myself?

All ideas welcome!

Reply to
Graeme

Hi

It could be any number of things - this happened to me a while back and it was just one of the connectors under the seat had come slightly loose. However fixing the problem may not even make the light go out. I highly recommend you find someone with VAG-COM and get them to read the faults for you, and if necessarily, clear the code.

Where abouts do you live? I'm sure a VAG-COM owner will pipe up if they are near you.

Cheers!

James

Reply to
James

It sometimes happens. It happened four or five times with my Audi and has stayed away for at least three or four years now. It never costed me anything to have the comp. hooked up and reset the airbag warning light. They have small portable diagnostic tools and it takes a few seconds all in all.

Ronald

Reply to
reply

Sure, you can reset the indicator with a VAGcom, but that light is coming on for a reason. If you are comfortable with resetting the light and taking a "wait til it breaks" approach, you can buy your own vag tool for about US$300 and do it yourself if you have an aversion to walking into the dealer's shop. I got mine at APR.

Cheers,

Chris Mauritz

Here is a link to the VAG-COM folks that could offer to read the codes in your car. Deciding to 'clear the code(s)' without fixing the cause usually will not last long. Reading the codes will at least give you an idea of what is going on and you can go from there.

Hope it helps, Skippy

Glenn Spence

"Graeme" a écrit dans le message de news:brpnu7$g36$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com...

I had a similar problem and Audi replaced one airbag for free, although the car was already 3 years old (the warranty was only 1 year at that time).

Reply to
GT