A4 Avant rear window sudden break

Anyone experienced a sudden *spontaneous* breakup of rear window?? It happened to me (A4 Avant my 2001) some days ago: started engine while in my garage, i heard a strange noise behind me and saw the rear window broken in *thousands* little pieces!! I am absolutely sure the window had not any scratch until that moment. Same thing i heard that happened to other A4 Avant and VW Polo owners....

Reply to
Magog

I have heard of this as well. Check it out on the AudiWorld forums... Several people had them repaired under warranty.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8T q MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Could be caused by air pressure, but I've only heard of it happening after someone closes the hatchback.

Reply to
Alex

air pressure?! the hatchback is supposed to exist to be opened and closed, so what? windows should be designed, built and mounted to resist to shocks much greater than hatchback closure, dont you think so?

Reply to
Magog

I watched a chap close his hatch back (can't recall the car make/model) and the rear window burst out.

Inside the car he had about 6 helium balloons.

dj

Reply to
Cargo

"Magog" wrote

I don't think he's disagreeing with you. He's just giving you a possible cause.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I do, but on hot days I believe it is more likely to happen.

Reply to
Alex