A4 door handle lost spring tension

Hi all,
Car is 2001 A4 Avant (older chassis = B5)
The inside front door release handle (the chromed piece) has all of a sudden gone quite slack. It still works well i.e. gets me out of the
car, but the force required to pull it is about half of what it was.
I removed the door trim to have a look but got no clues. It was also very cold so I didn't hang around so long . . .
My guess that a tensioning spring has broken. For those of you who've dug in that area:
1. where is the spring - is it in the door release handle somewhere or is towards the rear of the door, close to the latch?
2. Anybody found instructions on how to get to it, or other references? I searched at audiworld.com but no luck there.
3. Anybody know what the usual cause of this problem is and what parts/costs required to fix?
BR /Robert