A4 engine noise

My 2001 A4 has developed a kind of rattle/knocking noise at idle RPM. Sounds like it's coming from the engine. Everything else is fine. Any ideas?
----- Posted via NewsOne.Net: Free (anonymous) Usenet News via the Web ----- http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email snipped-for-privacy@newsone.net
Timing Belt/Tensioner ?
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Yup. I had a similar problem. Clattering noise on acceleration, 1200-1500 rpm.
Went to dealer and he reminded me that the oil should *always* be filled up to the top mark, and that Audis are designed so that they happen to go through more oil than the average car. He also said that they tend to make a few weird noises during the first couple of minutes after a cold start, then they should be quiet.
I guess this is why European cars are said to have more "character and soul" than their Japanese counterparts.
My oil level was 2/3 the way down the dipstick gauge so I added 800 cc oil (is that 1 1/2 pints in Americanese?) and car runs very quietly now.
Mine is an 01 Avant 1,8 TS (N.B. Of the Avants, the 01 is the last of the old chassis)
/Robert