A4 oil in the water problem

I've got a1998 A4 1.6 (engine codeAHL) and have engine oil getting into the coolant, I've replaced the head gasket and had the head skimmed at the same
time but the problem has not gone. Question is there an oil/water cooler somewhere on the car and if so does it occassionally fail?

You have the oilcooler sitting next to the oilfilter, this unit goes bad all the time.
/Carsten
Doh!

"Steve" wrote in message

Had the same problem with wife's car (same model, same engine). Head gasket had to be replaced twice and coolant system flushed thoroughly before the oil more or less disappeared from the expansion tank. In other words: Try a proper flushing of the coolant system, and observe for a while.
Rune Norway

Generally water in the oil = headgasket
Oil in the water = oil cooler, although it's not exact science lol :)
I don't know if the 1.6 comes with an oil cooler, if it does the cooler is square and the oil filter usually screws into it.
http://vwdoc1.tripod.com/personal/index/VW/oilcooler.jpg
http://vwdoc1.tripod.com/personal/index/VW/upperhose.jpg
http://vwdoc1.tripod.com/personal/index/VW/firstflush.jpg
I handled a ruptured oil cooler problem on an Audi A4 with the 1.8 engine. UGLY!!! You can see, from the oil cooler picture, oil coming out of the coolant pipe. It was recommended by an excellent VW tech to use a little Dawn soap during the coolant flushes. IT WORKED very well to get that nasty stuff out "easily". I had the vehicle run for a week and no oil came back into the system. ;-)
later, dave (One out of many daves) I have to change the head gasket in my 1991 Passat 16V engine one day (same problem but real light)

Nasty.
Hope that isn't in my future.
Tony 98.5 1.8TQM
dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

I had the same problem on one of my cars in the past, the cooler is normally made out of an alloy and the channel between the oil and water starts to degrade a leak occurs, causing the water to mix with the oil.
It's not a hard job to do but if not nipped in the bud can ruin your engine :(