A4 Oil Usage

My wife has a 1999 A4 3.0 that seems to use a lot of oil. She relisiously follows servicing Audi recommendations but has found that between servicing she can be down as much as 2 qts. of oil. The Audi
service rep said that is normal and not to worry. She is worried that this is excessive. Is it?
dph wrote:

It's within the normal range, but she should have it checked and filled in between services. It's not good to run it 2qts low.
JimV wrote:

New audis for you, my 1996 2.6 v6 only uses about 1 litre between services, ( 6000 miles )
Steve.
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Steve68s wrote:

I have a 2002 A4Q 3.0 (upstate New York). It has 61,000 miles on it now. I change the oil every 5000 miles. It has never used more than a couple of spoonfulls of oil between changes. I also owned a 1985 4000Q (the 2.2L 5cyl) for 9 years, and it never used oil either.
-s
Steve Thompson wrote:

Got a 2001 1.9TDi 130 (UK model), done nearly 10,000 miles in it since I got it 3 months ago. Hasn't used a drop of oil. (Due for a service soon though, so it keeps telling me whenever I put the key in.)
--
Glenn Richards Tel: (01453) 845735
Squirrel Solutions http://www.squirrelsolutions.co.uk /

Hi, i own a 2000 a4 1.9tdi 110 pk
it uses around 1 liter every 5000km, the audi dealer also said this was normal with the 110 pk version ...
i'm also doubting the onnesty of this dealer, but yeah what are you gonna do about it.. as long as i don't run out of oil ..
bai

Audi didnt make a 3.0 A4 in 1999 :)
What you have there is a 2.8 30v
The 3.0 was released in 2001/2 in the B6 range
Just incase you didnt know

Same here. At least 1 qt and sometimes two. We use synthetic and change it every 10k miles. I carry a quart of oil in the trunk.
--
Wayne Crannell
Xxxxxxx, TX

It's not excessive and you should check oil level every 1000-1500 miles or so. Never let it get down more than a quart. The V6 of that vintage is notorious for its "extenal lubrication system" i.e. it is prone to developing oil leaks especially from the cam seals. That could be part of your problem.
servus