A4 - questions about the stereo...

Hi,

I am considering buying an A4 Avant and want to know about the stereo before I do.

I currently have a BMW 330ci Sport and when I bought this car I upgraded the stereo to a BMW minidisc player and 10 Harman Kardon speakers, I am less than impressed with the "features" of this system. It doesn't display minidisc title/track info and doesn't support any kind of CD-Text for CD Changers so there's no way I could think of attaching an MP3 player (in the boot).

Is the A4 stereo system any good? Would I be able to add a CD changer that supported MP3 and be able to use it?

How easy would it be to swap the dashboard mounted radio and fit something like a Kenwood Keg? This is impossible with my current setup as the speakers only work with the BMW headunit, something to do with voltage or Ohms?

Thanks in advance

Daz

Reply to
Daz N

In addition to the stock stereo, you can purchase the "Bose" upgrade which adds an extra sub I believe and improves the overall sound a bit. It's not mind-blowing (nothing from Bose is ;-)), but I did listen to it, and it's decent. Much better than Bose that used to come in the B5 A4 and probably on-par and better-matched to the rest of the speakers than something aftermarket, like the Keg.

In addition, you can get PhatNoise - it's a dealer-installed option that let's you store and play MP3 files on a removable hard-drive. Not sure what its abilities are in terms of track title/artist display though.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

No Audi HUs display title/track info.

Depends what you're looking for. I have the Audi Nav+ system which integrates radio, CD changer control, TV and navigation. I'm happy with it.

Not sure about a CD changer which supports MP3 - I've installed a PhatBox which plays MP3s - it plugs straight in, in place of the CD changer. This has the advantage that it 'speaks' the title/track info

- no need to take your eyes off the road.

Plenty of people have, but the Audi headunits are larger than standard size, so require blank filler pieces to hide the gaps.

I'm sure that a pro sound shop could sort something out (at a cost!).

Reply to
Peter Bell

Correct, but the head unit cost me £300 and the speakers cost £650, I don't really want to take them out and sell them on Ebay for a loss!!!

I just don't want to make the same mistake twice...

'bellfamily')

Reply to
Daz N

By default, it will announce artist, album, and genre (and playlist?) for any track when you hit the scan button. You can also get it to announce track titles by using PhatVoice, an unsupported app that generates the right files. (unsupported, but in my experience, it works well most of the time and is harmless when it doesn't)

TREE