A4 Rear End humming noise

Hi all, I have a problem and I hope some of you might be able to give me some help. I have a 2001 A4 Quattro, 5 speed. It has 60K miles on it. In the last week or so I've noticed that there seems to be a humming type of noise coming from the right rear (I think...sometimes noise can be deceiving). The sound almost seems like the noise you used to get when you put snow tires on a car. My tires are in excellent shape, so I don't think they are the problem. The sound is more noticable at higher speeds and increases as speed increases. If I put the clutch in, or shift to neutral at a high speed (60mph or so), the sound remains. I haven't noticed this sound before this. I am thinking something in a bearing or axle? What are your thoughts? Anyone experience anything similar to this? I'm not too familiar with Audi running gear (axles, bearings, CV joints, etc.), but I am a pretty fair backyard mechanic, so I will be able to comprehend any suggestions. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Reply to
Haywood

Wheel Bearings

Wheels Bearings

Wheels Bearings

:))

Hope this helps, A4's eat em

Reply to
Ronny

Thanks for the tip...are they tapered? Any idea how hard they are to replace...I don't have an A4 repair manual yet? Thanks again

Reply to
Haywood

No. Not tapered. They are about 4" in diameter and pressed into the strut. The bearing includes an outer and inner bearing in one assembly.

You will need to remove the strut and press the bearing out and the new one back in while being careful of the ABS sensor. Really not to badoa job if you have the tools.

The best is to use a bearing tool like a hub Shark so it can be done without removing the strut.

At 60M it sounds like a good time to replace the rear pads as well.

TonyJ

98.5 A4 1.8TQ 5spd APR
Reply to
Tony

They are still really hard to do though, my garage had to take them to a special place to have them pressed out as they didnt have a press man enough.

On the good side though the bearings are sealed so they wont fail they just keep getting louder and louder untill you can no longer bear it anymore :)

Reply to
Ronny

They do fail. If you let go too long they'll take out the hub and the hub carrier. The hub carrier = very expensive.

Very easy to do if you have a arbor press or something like a hub tamer. I just did my rears I few week ago. About a 3 hour job once you know how to do it, 4 or 5 the first time.

--Vic

Reply to
vjs

Thanks for all the advice. I had a local mechanic do the job. Actually I did both sides. Why chance it? The bill was $509 including a 4 wheel alignment. Was that a fair price? Anyway, I'm happy that my A4 is quiet again.

Reply to
Haywood

Not bad, not cheap but not outrageous. The dealer wanted $1200 to do all four on my car.

I said forget it and did it myself. I paid $120 for rear bearing and $270 for a hubtamer. Now I have the tools on top of getting the job done for less than the dealer.

The parts are $120, labor is four hours for 2 rear bearings, $300, 4 wheel alignment =$80. Local garage get about 75/hour so total is about right.

Reply to
vjs

It was a bit under $300 for a local shop to do one of mine and a bit over that for the dealer to do the other. (They didn't fail at the same time.)

Reply to
John F. Carr