A4 Service Interval

I bought my first Audi - a (secondhand) 2002 A4 3.0 quattro - in April. The service indicator currently says 28 days/6000 miles. This isn't consistent - 28 days will be early September, but 6000 miles will take me to about the beginning of February.

The car's done 26,500 miles. It was last serviced in March 2004 at

17,000 miles.

So when will I need to get the car serviced?

I asked the local dealer (Epsom Audi), but the response was singularly vague and uninspiring: 'wait until it beeps at you'. Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question. When should I expect it to beep at me? September? February? Somewhere in between?They never did answer that one. And the Owner's Manual is no more helpful - I've never before seen one that says so much whilst being so uninformative.

I'd like to be able to factor the cost into my budgeting and also know roughly when I'm going to need to make the necessary time available. If anyone can offer more useful information than the dealer or the manual, I'd be very glad to hear it.

Thank you.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter

It will "beep" in 28 days or after 6000 miles, which ever comes first.

Reply to
Alec

Usually the Audis neeed to be serviced after X miles or Y years, whichever comes first. That's to cover both the mileeaters and the garagefillers.

So, 28 days or 6kmiles does make sense as obviously you have reched one of the two limits by then.

If you don't make 6000 miles until in 28 days then the 28 days will be the determining factor.

And your dealer should know that, call them on it and if they don't know better, then change dealer.

Gruß

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

With the variable service routine you just have to get it serviced when it tells you. It bases its decision on the type of driving you do.

However the information you're getting doesn't really make sense. The time portion is (AFAIK) just a countdown of two years which is the maximum your car can go between services. The mileage is more accurate unless you're a really low mileage driver.

I would say that the latest you should service is March 2006 but you may want to get it done before then for piece of mind as dealers are notorious for messing up the variable services.

HTH Dave

Reply to
Dave

Peter, you need a service in 28 days time. You must service the car every 2 years or less if the mileage indication says so. If you do a low mileage then the time is relevant. If you do a high mileage then a service will be required within the 2 years.

[...]

Oldun

Many thanks for the very helpful responses.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter