A4 temp problem

My dash was giving the temp (flashing thermometer) warning meaning either the water was low in the reservoir or some other water/temp related problem.

In my attempt to determine the cause, I unplugged the connector to the reservoir and shorted the contacts in the plug and hey presto no more warnings. From this I deduced that the float or contacts in the bottom of the reservoir had gone TU so ordered a new one (£20) yes the one where they decided to change the plug configuration.

Having had it a week I just got time to fit it today (cut the socket off and fitted spade connectors) only to find the dash warning is still activating. It goes out after about 2 miles drive when the temp reaches 90C.

can it be the cooling fluid not having the correct conductivity when cold..........na surely not.

or am I missing something here.........anyone any thoughts

toy

Reply to
Toy

activating.

I had this (warning till the car reached operating temp) on my Passat - was the level sensor in the expansion tank - replacement tank fixed it.

seems like you have tried the same fix - maybe you have not connected the right wires to the right points on the sensor?

rgds

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

Or they have given you the wrong part? I actualy got a similar sensor for a

1986 vw golf a few months ago which had small blade connectors on, exactly the same as the origional, not round ones, I can't remember the part no though, was a genuine vw/audi part though,

Steve.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

you could well be correct for the following reasons, even though the physical shape is identical.

  1. Plug socket has changed from oblong to round
  2. The circuit continuity is made when the internal float is down (tank empty) and broken when the float is up (tank full). This is precisely the reverse of what my configuration should be....if I short my wiring plug I get no dash warning.

an Audi c*ck up me thinks.

toy

1.
Reply to