A4 Tire recommendations

Page 1 of 2
My 2001 A4 (1.8T) needs tires, again. I would love to hear from owners about the luck you have with various tires. How they perform and why you like/dislike them. TIA

"Haywood" wrote

Mind telling us if this is all-season or summer tires you need, so that we're on the right track? Size would be useful, too, as not all tires come in all sizes.
FYI, for general opinions on various tires, the easiest thing to do is go over to www.tirerack.com and read owner's reviews - you can even filter it by car model, driving style, and driving conditions.
Pete

A4 owners would use the same size; within a size or two?

Big assumption and not, I suspect, correct. My A4 3.0q seems to take a very peculiar size - I can only find three manufacturers that sell them in the UK (Michelin, Dunlop and Continental), and at GBP150 each. I wouldn't mind betting that you'll have a wider choice at a lower price.
Peter.
"Peter" wrote

Yeah. In the US, depending on options as well as which part of 2001 model year (2001 or 2001.5), he could have either one of these 3 sizes:
205/60/15 205/55/16 225/45/17
Haywood, pardon my directness, but wanting to purchase tires and not knowing their specs is kind of like trying to buy shoes not knowing your foot size.

235/45/17? Yeah, plenty of tires in that size available in the US, some as low as $100 each.
Cheers,
Pete

No, mine are only 215/55 16 Y. Hardly any here - wish I could get them for USD100! (The difficulty seems to be in finding any with that 'Y' speed rating.)
Peter.
"Peter" wrote (The difficulty seems to be in finding any with that 'Y'

A 'V' speed rating would suffice. Or is there some kind of a law in the UK that prevents you from using anything lower than what the factory provided?
Pete

There isn't any reason you have to buy them with a Y speed rating, unless you feel the need to go up to 186 mph. V is sufficient up to 149 mph, H is good to 130 mph, S to 112 mph. Just choose by how fast you really ever drive (or that your car is actually capable of) not by what your car originally shipped with.
--
Douglas Siebert snipped-for-privacy@excisethis.khamsin.net

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute. Set him on fire, and
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:58:52 +0000 (UTC), Douglas Siebert

Thanks. I'd wondered about that. AFAIK, the car's limited to 155MPH. In practice, I rarely go beyond 100 and never beyond 120. (It's difficult to find suitable roads when you live in a densely-populated country with a blanket 70 limit.)
But can I safely mix tyres with different speed ratings on the car? I might not need to change all of them at once.
Peter.
"Peter" wrote

Just be sure to keep the same tires on one axle (I mean don't mix between left and right side).
Pete

Thanks. That's the answer I was expecting, but it's nice to be sure.
The garage has just phoned (they're servicing the car today) - both front tyres need changing, but the rear are OK. More money gone...
Peter.
"Peter" wrote

Are you familiar with the concept of tire rotation? :)
Cheers,
Pete

Yes - but the last thing I want is to have to pay for four at once. I'd rather have to replace two now and the other two in a few months' time. The decision *not* to rotate them is one taken quite deliberately.
Peter.

If this is on a quattro car...I wonder how much it cost to replace a worn-out center differential?
"daytripper" wrote

I doubt it's a quattro since then he would not have such varying tread wear between front and rear to begin with.
Regards,
Pete

Even quattro A4s are resolute understeerers. Aggressive driving will definitely scrub the fronts faster than the rears...which is why we rotate fr<->rr frequently...

It *is* a quattro. The wear overall is pretty even as between front and rear. The problem with the front tyres is that the edges have worn a lot more than the centre.
It had never occurred to me that uneven wear might affect the centre differential (never had four-wheel drive until April of this year). Don't understand this, anyway. Surely the whole point of a differential is to compensate for things like this?
Peter.

The four tires should be worn within 2 mm of each other according to the user's manual. The center differential (torsen diff) is made to handle large differences in tire rotation on a short term basis. From what I've heard, the more difference in rotation between front and back, the hotter the oil inside will get.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro
http://www.houseofthud.com/differentials.htm#quattro
--Art
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 19:11:23 -0400, "Art M"

Thanks - I'll bear that in mind.
Peter.

I have heard (from Discount Tire), they will no longer replace only two tires on a Quattro system. Apparently, they had to replace a transmission because they only put two tires on an A6 and after a court battle, they lost and had to replace the tranny.
He said the only exclusion is that they will replace 2 tires if the tread is within 2mm (as the poster above said).