A4 Tire recommendations

Page 2 of 2

most
I have a B5 A4 2.8q which I believe is the older version of your car and one of its advantages (for a car of its type) is that it takes relatively inexpensive tyres. I just paid 280ukp for 4 Dunlop SP Sports tyres.
Richard
On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 19:27:41 +0100, "Richard Goulding"
Yup, that's right

I wish!
Tell me, how do you find the Dunlops? I've got Michelin on the car at the moment, but know that they'll need replacing soon. I really don't like Michelin - never have. Boy, you should hear them squeal on corners! (And no, I don't really push it - I do nothing that I didn't do with no trouble at all in the Bridgestone-shod BMW that I had before.)
Peter.

I bought the Dunlops because they were OEM spec tyres. They seem to be long lasting at about 25-30000 miles. I drive sedately so don't really notice squeal at all. I never have a problem with grip in wet or drive (probably the way I drive). They are reasonably quiet compared to the Pirelli P6000 or the Avons I had in the past. The Avons did last a long time though.
Hope this helps.
Richard
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:46:51 +0100, "Richard Goulding"

Thanks. That durability description seems pretty consistent with the dreaded Michelins, which suggests that the grip isn't likely to be much better. I can't describe my driving style as 'sedate', so lateral grip matters a lot to me.
Peter.
snipped-for-privacy@allblue.f.co.uk says...

I really don't see why size makes much difference. I just wanted some opinions on different brands for my Quattro. Just asked how they ride and perform. I'm reasonably certain all tire companies make their product in different sizes. I just put the size that came on the vehicle, like most people do.

You seem to be missing the point. There's no point in someone recommending, say, Bridgestone if they don't make tyres the right size for your car. And no, not all manufacturers do make all tyre sizes/specifications. As noted elsewhere, I can't get tyres to match my car from (for example) Pirelli, Bridgestone or Goodyear. And, in an ideal world, I would prefer to buy Goodyear or Bridgestone.
Peter.

I had, until recently, a matching set of Goodyear NCT5s on my Passat 1.8T, so I'd assume the same applies to an A4.
They wear reasonably well, 8k miles from the front pair, rears still looked new when I swapped them onto the front.
Grip is good, although they squeel a bit if you're pressing on, and they don't scare me too badly in the wet..... but I have had the rear end feel a bit twitchy at times.
Overall, I'd say they're fair value for money, being a fair bit cheaper than my usual choice of Pirelli P6000s, especially as they last longer.
On previous cars, I've been *very* happy with Goodyear Eagle Venturers. But they can be expensive.