A4 Tire recommendations

If this is on a quattro car...I wonder how much it cost to replace a worn-out center differential?

Reply to
daytripper

"daytripper" wrote

I doubt it's a quattro since then he would not have such varying tread wear between front and rear to begin with.

Regards,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Even quattro A4s are resolute understeerers. Aggressive driving will definitely scrub the fronts faster than the rears...which is why we rotate frrr frequently...

Reply to
daytripper

It *is* a quattro. The wear overall is pretty even as between front and rear. The problem with the front tyres is that the edges have worn a lot more than the centre.

It had never occurred to me that uneven wear might affect the centre differential (never had four-wheel drive until April of this year). Don't understand this, anyway. Surely the whole point of a differential is to compensate for things like this?

Peter.

Reply to
Peter

The four tires should be worn within 2 mm of each other according to the user's manual. The center differential (torsen diff) is made to handle large differences in tire rotation on a short term basis. From what I've heard, the more difference in rotation between front and back, the hotter the oil inside will get.

--Art

Reply to
Art M

Thanks - I'll bear that in mind.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter

I have heard (from Discount Tire), they will no longer replace only two tires on a Quattro system. Apparently, they had to replace a transmission because they only put two tires on an A6 and after a court battle, they lost and had to replace the tranny.

He said the only exclusion is that they will replace 2 tires if the tread is within 2mm (as the poster above said).

Reply to
Curtis Newton