A4 tyres update

Those with longer memories may recall I posted a while back asking about tyres for my A4 (specifically whether I could fit 225s on the standard

16" alloy rim).

In the end I decided to stick with 205/55s, and have now replaced all 4 (after running the fitted Continental Premiums down as low as I dare... still legal, but didn't feel "right") with Conti Sport Contact 2s.

All I can say is... wow, what a difference! It corners like it's on rails, even in the wet!

Now I know someone commented that Conti Sports weren't great in the wet, but that isn't my experience of them. Perhaps the US tyres are a different compound, or different tread pattern from the European ones (the person who said that was in the US). Or perhaps UK road surfaces have better drainage? Who knows.

Anyway, I'd recommend ContiSports to anyone!

Reply to
Glenn Richards

"Glenn Richards" wrote

Not sure whether that was me or not. I'm in Europe though. CSC2 is OK in the rain (I have them in size 225/45/17), but not as good as some other tires out there, mainly Bridgestone S-03, GY F1 GS-D3, or Toyo T1-S.

Still, the CSC2 is a good tire overall. Much more comfortable and much less tramlining compared to the S-03. The extremely stiff sidewalls of S-03 was too much for me. :)

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I am currently at 58K on original Dunlop 205/55R16

and expect to renew around 60k

A42.4V6SESaloon.

I will be replacing with the same make and style.

dj

Reply to
Its Only Me

Are these Dunlop SP Sport 8000E ?

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

I can ack the tramlining - keeps me on my toes ;-) But don't you miss those sidewalls when you're in the mood to boogie hard through twisty stuff?

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd - shod with S03's now and S02's before those. I like 'em stiff ;-)

Reply to
daytripper

The tyre test I read rated the ContiSport Contac 2 quite high in most respects, but I recall aquaplaning being the exception.

Reply to
Ernest

"daytripper" wrote

Well, if I was still in the US, I would sure miss them, but out here in Poland the roads consist of 50% potholes and 50% other irregularities. Taking a corner with high speed often equals hitting a pothole sideways and damaging tires/rims/suspension. :(

Heh, yeah, I used to like 'em stiff too. Now I'm more of a softie. :) I even enjoy more riding on my winter 16s, because putting on summer 17s means a very very bumpy ride out here. :-\

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete