A4 Worn Brake Pad Warning

While driving last night my DIS came up with a 'brake pad worn' warning indicator and is on all the time. I know that this means that I should have my brakes checked which I intend to do soon. I had a quick look at the pads
and there seem to be quite a lot of pad material left even though the car has done 88,000 miles on the original pads and discs. My question is does the brake warning system allow a large amount of 'give' when triggering a warning ?
2000 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 88,000 miles.
Thanks in advance.
Richard

I had rust build up in the border of the disc that cut the wire (for the indicator) even though the pads had quite amount material left. However, it was difficult to check this without taking the pads out.
Your pad + disc change is near anyhow so I would recommended you to just change all the pads and rotors in the same go.
--
Petri Rehtonen

have
pads
UPDATE
Had the brakes checked today and they needed replacing. So 210ukp later and I have a shiny new set of discs and pads on the front of my car. Rears were apparently ok.
Richard