A5 availability

My local Audi dealer (upstate NY) has an A5 in the showroom. Sales guy tells me that he is not allowed to sell it, and he is not allowed to let anyone test-drive it. He says any order for an A5 will take six months to
fill. Is he blowing smoke?
-s
Steve Thompson schreef:

I'm guessing here, but I think Audi US only gets a limited amount of A5's due to the weak US dollar. Audi's loosing money on every car they sell in the US. For instance, a Audi S5: USD 50,500.-- in USA EUR 87,960.-- in Holland ... that's USD 138,977,-- !!! EUR 56,400.-- in Germany ... that's USD 89.112,-- !!! No joke! In Holland we pay BPM = cartax 45% and VAT 19%. In Germany they only pay 19% VAT. So, don't complain over there! If only GM was so smart to lower their prices on the Corvette in Europe ... would result in a lot of US jobs ...
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:10:34 +0200, against all advice, something

Why wouldn't they just charge more?
--

Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

Steve Daniels schreef:

Long time deals maybe? Delivery time here, A5/S5: 10-12 weeks, any option and color you want. 1 + 1 = 2.

Uhhhh, that could be why the difference is so great. If you buy an Audi in a state that has a sales tax, i.e. 5%, a $50k car with cost $52.5k With a cartax of 45% and value added at 19%, I can believe that an Audi costs more in EU. However, if I was to buy my next Audi from the factory and take delivery in Germany, it would be less than the U.S. price, but I would have to have it shipped at my own expense.
The local Audi dealer had an S5 - I drove it. It is no longer there. Why? Because he sold it. I would imagine that the S5 rarity is the same as when Audi produced the RS6. I had a difficult time finding my RS6 because there were so very few imported.
BTW, I imagine that the U.S. is the most important export market for Audi. If they are losing money, it is their fault. But, somehow, I don't really think they are losing a dime on any car they sell in the States.
ymmv,h
Dave RS6 (snows off and BBS LMs on)
Dave LaCourse schreef:

That were the old days. You can download the German pdf pricelist at http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/neuwagen/a5/a5.html search for 'preisliste' ... it has prices with and without tax.
Even without all the taxes the cunsumer in the US pays 23% less then a main Audi DEALER in Holland ... I checked.
We're (me and the Audi dealer) thinking about importing $50k+ cars back from the USA ... That is ... if they can deliver.

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Dave LaCourse wrote:

What did you think of it?
-s

What do you think of breathing? d;o)
Fantastic automobile. I drove it the same day I drove the R8 and the RS4. My RS6 is five years old, and although I'd like to keep it, the beauty of both the S5 and S6 may be too much for this old man to overcome. I have two friends that have new S6s. Very impressive automobile.
Dave

Amazingly the UK is actually the biggest market for Audi outside of Germany. I guess the US will be next.
Jacq Witjes knastet inn: :

Please, grab a chair, I'll tell you about the Norwegian price
Audi S5 Coup 4,2 FSI V8 354 Hk quattro
EUR: 149,047 USD: 235,833
Frank schreef:

... that's blowing smoke allright ... holy smoke!

I'd like to see your proof for that statement. Audi isn't in business to make cars, they are in business to make money. If this were the case, they'd be gone from the US market, or adjust their prices so they weren't losing money.
They had an S5 at the NY Auto Show - GREAT looking car, but it was in white which doesn't do it justice. They had an R8 there as well, but it was also in white, for some strange reason.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Ghosts.............did you try touching one.

In Europe, white is the new trendy color.

have not noticed it in the UK..........Silver is still the big thing. Makes most motors look more valuable I suppose and needs less cleaning.
but then we aint really in Europe are we............we just pretend.
dj Vitara.........SilkySilver.