This reply got send directly to me as an email. Just thought I'd post it to the group. Obviously some people don't realise that usenet isn't just for experts, it's for anyone and everyone to freely post opinions and ideas, even if they might not know all of the facts.

From: "EPIFORM"

Well what exactly are the differences between the 150bhp and 225bhp versions of the engine then?

Is it just a bigger turbo, and uprated head gasket? Or are slightly lower compression pistons fitted? If it's just these things that make it different, but it's the same basic block and head design, then it *is* the same basic engine. If not, then I was completely wrong, but no need to get arsey about it.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

My A4 1.8 T was tuned with their chip and got 210 hp. PS: I had a problem later on with the turbo hose (see other posting in this group).

Reply to
hg

Did you get the author's permission first?

USENET also has a set of conventions for use. These conventions include avoiding posting private e-mails without permission, and how to order one's posts for logical reading (avoiding top-posts.) If you would like, I can supply you with a long list of URLs that deal with netiquette.

The answer to the questions posed about the differences between the

150 and 225HP 1.8T has been gone over several HUNDRED times in this forum alone! That is why you use a search engine - to get answers to questions.

Start with

and click on the web tab and do a search. If you do not get answers, click on the groups tab and search there. While you are there, use the search string "netiquette top posting".

I am still unclear as to why you would offer an opinion on something that you obviously know very little about. "Because it's there"?

Spider

Reply to
Spider

Then why did you buy it?

Reply to
DervMan

Why does this matter?

If it makes you happier, please do, however I suspect you'd be taking up bandwidth.

/holds up hands to make a "W" shape/

Yeah, whatever, buddy.

So where, precisely, does it state that one has to be a mechanic, or a qualified technician, to respond to a post? Usenet is about communication. If you just tell people, "oh, use a search engine" to every query, what's the point in having a DISCUSSION board, eh?

Or did that bit escape?

Reply to
DervMan

No.

Excuse me, but when did I top-post? I've just double checked every post I've made to this thread, and not in a single one of them have I top-posted. If you actually bothered to properly read the message you reply to, it was not top-posted - the text at the top was an introduction to the forwarded email below it. You know, in a logical order.

I'm perfectly well aware on how to search archives, but as Dervman mentioned, the whole point of a discussion forum is to discuss things. I'm sorry if you've got a problem with that. Fair enough though - I accept it can be a bit irritating if something has come up literally hundreds of times before, but there are polite ways of saying things.

Well yes, I knew little about it. But I also knew that another 1.8T engine was used in another car, and that the aforementioned engine had a fair bit more power than 150bhp. Hence my comparison.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Why not?

You didn't - I mis-read the post due to some funky quoting marks. My apologies.

Indeed it is. But if you do not have knowledge on the subject that you are discussing, why bother? It's just useless chatter.

I don't have any problems with discussion (nice straw man argument, however.) I do have a problem with the spouting of opinion disguised as fact. Or offering technical answers to technical questions without one shred of expertise or knowledge.

From someone posting private e-mail without permission in public, a discussion of politeness is hilariously ironic.

The plain fact is that over 400HP can be wrung out of that engine. It's just a matter of how much of the guts and accessories you wish to change. And how fast you want to go. It's not a simple job to go from 150 to 225. From 150 to 210 is much less painful and expensive, however.

Spider

Reply to
Spider

So I am guessing that you think that this is good and acceptable? Posting private e-mail is one of the greater "sins" in USENET. But according to you, it should just be free-for-all. Where is the value in that?

What get's posted in a public forum, available and readable by all who have access is quite different from private messages meant for one and only one. Unless you are willing to post all the contents of your inbox in public for comment, I will suppose, again, that you are exercizing your hyperbole skills.

I suggest you read what I wrote, instead of inventing something. Read it again carefully.

One that makes sense? One where USENET holds some sort of value, even if that value is small? You advocate some sort of random, worthless interaction that isn't worth the time spent. The end result of that view is a very quiet USENET.

Facts are facts. Technical questions that have specific, concrete answers (like the differences between a 150 and 225HP 1.8T) are really not subject to "opinion." Either the answer is right, or it's wrong. THere is no room for opinion on a technical question. If you asked "how many km between timing belt replacements on a 1.8T" and got a bunch of opinions, how valuable would that be toward answering your question? Only the FACT of the proper interval is helpful.

Or, they could go and find the right answer, and post that instead. Being helpful, instead of merely being opinionated.

What would make me happy is for you or Peter to answer to question posed.

Spider

Reply to
Spider

It was called a suggestion. Not a technical answer. And since when has "how can I get more bhp from my car" been a technical question?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Can I just take a bit of time out to reply to these first ten lines of unsnipped headers? This was at the top of a post from you, who criticised me for top-posting (which I did not) and general lack of netiquette. This makes you a complete hypocrite, so if you're posting up unneccessary advice to others, could you please take some of it yourself?

And just randomly emailing someone and insulting them is perfectly ok, I suppose........

Yes, you're right. The original question was "Does anybody know how I can improve the engine power of my 1999 A6 1.8T SE Auto without spending too much money, as for this size of car more power is definately needed".

That doesn't look like a desperately technical question to me.

The right answer would be to get a car with more power in the first place. A car of that size with a 150bhp turbo engine (with the inevitable lag) bolted to an auto gearbox, is not going to be quick. If the OP wants more power, then the best answer would not be to f*ck about with his current car (which would at best only produce slight improvements), but to get a more powerful version. There are plenty available.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Talking of that, I'm yet to get one clear answer about the cambelt interval on my Fiesta, but I'll discuss that over on uk.rec.cars.maintenance, where there are less wankers.

Well, and the fact that it's quite blatantly OT to talk about Fords on an Audi group!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Your reading skills are in question.

You will notice that a question was asked, and I notice that you did not answer.

Then you are an ass.

I thought as much.

Wrong again. I suppose it's fun to just have a piss-take, but your proposal makes much less sense than mine.

That's wonderful. I do not share your values. And they do nothing to enlighten on technical matters.

Wrong again. Each person's response is a "hard and fast answer." A data point to be considered with all the others. They are not opinions, they are facts. I find it astounding that you cannot distinguish between the two.

But that does not imply anywhere that the data points are reduced to mere opinion.

The question is not how *I* get from 150 -> 225. It's how *Audi* gets there. And there is only one way. How others might do it - well, that's really not under discussion.

What does escape me is how the answer "a bigger turbo and a head gasket" is meaningful in any way, other than just shuttling electrons around.

Really? How many ways does Audi make the 1.8T 225HP?

There is a TSB from Audi that gives a lower number than the manual. IIRC, it's about 75k km. *That* would be the correct answer. The others would be, uhhh, "not correct."

Sophistry, and we both know it. The differences between the two motors, as they come from Audi, is well-documented.

Your mental gymnastics aside, LOL!

And a "bigger turbo and a head gasket" is *not* one of the methods!

Which brings me back to my question for you, up at the top of this post.

Uhhh, which has exactly what to do with my question? It's exactly as worthless as you wish to paint my postings.

100% strawman BS.

I *have* answered the question, just not directly. If you had bothered to read before frothing at the mouth over your poor, put-upon fellow USENET traveller, you'd have seen exactly how to get the info.

Are you nearly through with your piss-take, sir?

Spider

Reply to
Spider

You and I both are ignoring questions.

Your opinion and not a fact.

So because you do not share my values you believe me to be wrong?

So what you're saying is that, when it comes to something like this, there are a great many facts. The brake pad question cannot be answered without opinions. If I'm just given a number, "50,000 miles, bosh, that's all there is to is" this fact may be incorrect.

Errrrr, no, did you read the original post, which said, "Does anybody know how I can improve the engine power of my 1999 A6 1.8T SE Auto without spending too much money, as for this size of car more power is definately needed."

Nothing about how Audi ups the ante from 150 to 225 PS in there.

Read on . . .

T'others would be opinions on known experience.

So what's the difference between a belt change and new brake pads? One has more obvious wear. If either breaks, it's probably bad news for the car.

So you're now saying that replacing the turbocharged for a larger variant in the family wouldn't up the poke from 150 to 225 PS, or thereabouts.

Ahh, probably not, elsewhere you discuss going from 150 to 225 PS. Seem to be missing the final 15 PS, eh.

If you want a 300 PS car, buying a 150 PS and then fannying about with it to get it up to the equivalent* is almost certainly going to cost you more than simply going out and buying the 300 PS car.

*and I don't just mean the engine.

/sarcasm/ Surely, somebody as sophisticated and intelligent as you would understand this?

I'm almost through. I'm wondering how much longer you can keep this up. Pity I'm at work during the day and don't have access to Usenet, heh.

Reply to
DervMan

I believe there was a slight typo there, Dervy!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Uhhh, now you're just talking out of your ass. Quoting attributions are nice to follow who said what.

Go ahead and find otherwise - I'm always willing to admit when I am mistaken.

Because you were:

1.) An idiot for posting junk that's not true,

2.) an ass for posting private e-mail.

The plain fact is that *you* should have posted the URL, if it were help that you wished to give.

Spider

Reply to
Spider

You can, but you'd be wrong (again.) Quoting without attribution sucks just as bad as not trimming posts properly. Show me a netiquette FAQ that suggests quoting without attribution.

No, I don't think it is (but another nice strawman.)

How do two wrongs make a right?

I have not, nor am not, talking about the original question. I am talking about your half-baked response. It's a nice attempt to steer the discussion away, but I don't fall for those tactics.

I did not notice you posting that opinion. But another nice try at diversion.

Oh, indeed.

Then, the suggestion to get a "bigger turbo and a head gasket" was what?

Spider

Reply to
Spider

Obviously, you are having difficulty with the meaning of "alt.*"

Here's a link for you to try:

Have fun.

Spider

Reply to