A6 1.8T Auto trace fault5 to failed throttle housing assembly

The car has an erratic idle, it hunts to find the normal idling speed and then settles down.
57 quid poorer and the garage informs me that there is a
"trace fault5 to failed throttle housing assembly" and they need to replace the whole module. That would make me 690+57 quid poorer.
Does anyone out there know if there could be another solution/cause to this rather than a complete assembly replacement ? Is there a better forum to ask this question on ?
Is there somewhere a throttle housing can be sourced for less than 364.62+VAT ?
BTW the MAF has already been changed which the garage attributed the symptoms to the last time.

Have a go at this...easy to do:
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/throttlebody /
I think you can do most of it without removing the throttle-body from the manifold, just pull the hose form the intercooler. Afterwards do a throttle adaption by turning on the ignition( do not start the engine) then turn it off after 5 minutes. Then start up and see if it's better.
Rgds Alec

Regards Stuart

Also check for vacuum leaks - that's a common source of poor idling on a 1.8T
I've just cleaned the TB on a 1.8 (non turbo) in an Audi A4 this afternoon & found a small vac hose that was split. Idle is sorted & its cured a "flat spot" that was there at about 4.5 - 5K rpm. I'd say your chances are better than even of fixing it - at which point you can go ask for the money back for the MAF
I.

Currently have the TB removed, lots of carbon, but no actual chunks, butterfly valve cannot fully close though, should it close to the mating surfaces ? Thanks again Stuart Thanks Stuart

would share it. Just to let everyone know the cleaning the throttle body internals did the trick. I would like to say a HUGE BIG THANKS to everyone especially Alec for pointing me in the right direction. Thanks a lot. Stuart

Great stuff - now go and tell the skanky garage & either ask for your money back on the MAF or at least get the old sensor back from them. Given that you are also 700 quid better off than you might have been I guess the beers are on you (!)
I.

Kinda wondering what to do with the garage, this fault has cost me 300 so far, would have cost another 700. All it needed was an hours labour and 3.42 for a can of carb cleaner.
That included two diagnostics-one that ID'd the MAF and one that ID'd the TB, I would not have known to look to the throttle body without the fault code.
Maybe the MAF was faulty, the performance did improve, not the idle though.
I feel a bit let down by the garage, I am not a mechanic and at one time I trusted these guys as experts who would clean something rather then replace it. Not that naive, I have been dealing with garages for sometime, and they did used to provide an excellent service.
Interestingly the RAC warranty I had would not cover the TB, I think they (the RAC) were vindicated in this case. That's another story though, the warranty covered only certain functions of the TB not all of them. It is a complete assembly, so the whole thing would have to be replaced and they would not cover that.
Anyway many thanks. Stuart

Hmmm - maybe the MAF just needed cleaning as well. It doesn't always work but its worth trying before replacing the thing

Yeah well, tis the absence of Mechanics & the proliferation of "fitters".
I can see your dilemma - but I'd still make a phone call or go & see them to have a chat about it. You may need them at some point & to a certain extent "better the devil you know". You'll also know to come & ask here (or similar) before authorising any other expensive works in future!
Anyway, glad its fixed - suggest you invest some of the savings in a Bentley manual & maybe a few more tools. When you can do an oil change in under hour for under 35 it seems a bit pointless to pay a garage 3 times that amount.
I..

I thought I did, but I am mistaken, can't find the post!

Audi. If I get another, I will definitely invest in a Bentley.
The prices calculated last week were :- Glasses Top Book is 4970 Maximum for Parkers adjusted for mileage and auto box is 6800 And What Car comes in at 6461
Any ideas what a reasonable price would be to advertise at ? 1998 A6 1.8T Green Leather Interior, Auto, 6-CD Ch, Aircon, FSH, 46K miles (guaranteed, only one previous owner - my boss), No expense spaired for maintenance! Stuart
I would be interested to know how you get on. Rgds Alec