a6 2.7 turb or 3.0

I am looking to buy a 2002 or newer a6. Any comments on which engine to get?

Myron

Reply to
myronf

The message from " snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com" contains these words:

Diesel, of course!

Reply to
Guy King

If you're looking for higher performance, get the 2.7T, if ultimate performance isn't that big of a deal, get the 3.0 and stay away from potential turbo issues (x2)...

If you want a manual trans, however, the 2.7T is the only choice.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

How's the reliability of the 3.0? I couldn't find much about it googling this group but I figure it's more durable than the turboed 1.8s? I'm about to buy an '02 A4 and I am trying to decide between the 163HP 1.8TQ and the 220HP 3.0TQ..

Outside the US the 3.0 is available with a nice manual 6-er.

Reply to
Bram

Again, you need to decide what is important to you - durability or performance.

The 220HP 3.0TQ may sound like a more exciting and fast ride but the 3.0 has its own maintenance issues - timing belt changes. cam seal oil leaks unless that have that figured out by now.

The 1.8TQM at factory 163HP is still a fun experience and if maintenance is kept current will probably be as reliable as the 3.0.

From a performance standpoint the 1.8T can be much easier and cheaper to modify with chips, turbo upgrades, exhaust and many other things readily available on the market to be notably faster than the 3.0 while at the same time deliver very good mileage if you can resist the temptation to use the 'on' button. With only the addition of a performance chip you will bring it to 200+HP and with more 280

- 300 HP is quite easily attainable.

The only notable performance upgrade for the 3.0 is a supercharger for 4 - 5 K$. Nice but pricey.

Me? I have the 1.8TQM with APR chip and essentially stock other than wheels and S4 bumper. At about 200HP I find it a good compromise between fun performance and good highway mileage (26 - 29+mpg US).

My son drives a 2.8Tip and likes it but I can out perform him if we were to try and his best highway mileage is 24 - 26 mpg) Notable less that mine in town driving.

Reply to
Tony