A6 2.7T heater motor sounds like an airplane taking off???

Hi - yestarday was a cold day in MA, with a few inches of snow. I had the heater system on auto. When the heat was on the first three bars (low heat) everything was fine. When I turn the heat higher, five, six,
seven bars- it progressivelly sounds like a jet taking off. Very loud??? When the heat was high, I felt a vibration on the passenger side dashboard, over the glove compartment. I am assuming it is the heater motor? Anyone have this problem? Is it an easy or expenseive fix?
On 14 Nov 2004 08:47:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@geac.com (JMurph) wrote:

I had the same (or very similar) problem. Turned out to be a dead mouse in the fan. Removal of mouse fixed the problem.
Hope your fix is as easy.
Bruce

For heater motor you mean the fan? If the fan makes noise when switched high, most usual problem is a clogged filter. It then suckes air via leaks in the flexible pipe under the dash. Take the filter out for a moment and try again.
Ronald
I have had two pieces of advise that I would like to try: 1: Take the filter out and try the fan again? 2: Perhaps debris from the pollen filter area fell down into the blower housing?
now the bad news, I know very little about cars or Audis, this is my 1st AUDI, and I love it, so step by step instructions are appreciated. I just bought this used 2000 Audi A6 2.7T with 28K miles last week via a private sale, so I can't return it to a dealer.
Where is the filter, and can I get to the pollen filter and blower housing? thanks, much aprreciated, other than this problem the car is a dream.

Normally you will find it on the opposite side of the driver under the windshield. You have to remover a thin plastic cover to reach it. It is a service part and needs changing at least every year.
Ronald
Guess what??? Followed the instructions, and what did I find under the filter??? A mouse nest:>) Cleaned it out, and everything is perfect. It is a 2000 A6 2.7T with 27K miles. It sits in my garage for months without use,

Glad to have been of help.
--
Ronald
www.mulazzo.nl (our house in the Lunigiana)
On 15 Nov 2004 12:15:35 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@geac.com (JMurph) wrote:

Eeeew....Does that mean your blower is festooned with bits of mouse?
Hi, J. Murphy I had the same problem some time ago. It turned out to be a leaf of a tree that had got into the fan of the heating system. Makes a terrirying noise but is totally harmless. After a while it stopped from alone when the leaf was blown out of the heater system. greetings to you Dietmar snipped-for-privacy@onlinehome.de