A6 Avant 2.5TDi (140bhp) - how many miles are they good for?

Well not specifically the Avant, but how many miles have these been known to go on for? A lot of the ones I've seen have 150k++ miles on the clock and
if I was to buy one I'd want to really look after it and run it up to some stupidly high interstellar mileage (I'd quite like to keep it forever, but at the very least get it up to at least 500k!!) - just wanted to know are they good for this sort of mileage if well looked after?
Peter

Make sure it's had a new cylinder head.

Why's that exactly? Is the cooling system not particularly reliable? Is it a design problem causing them to warp / head gasket to fail? I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning behind this. I'm glad you've mentioned this as I don't want to have any huge unneccessary bills, but I always thought that if a car had a decent cooling system and was regularly serviced etc., then there would be very little reason for a head gasket to blow. I may be wrong of course.
Peter