A6 Avant for boat towing

Hi, We are looking at a major vehicle reshuffling that goes like this after we move from our present house.

My Dodge Ram used to plow and tow the boat goes away. My Audi A4 and my wife's Outback go away if she can get an Audi. My wife get's an Audi A6 Avant if it can tow my bay boat which weighs in at 1800 pounds with boat, motor and trailer. I get a 911. :)

Some specs say the A6 Avant has a 2000 pound towing capacity, but is it really capable of towing a boat. I don't tow far but use the ramp all the time. Beyond the salt water threat, is this practical? Anyone doing this?

Reply to
Kyle Tucker

skrev i en meddelelse news:Z4XMb.44977$na.37070@attbi_s04...

My 1993 Audi 100 V6 2.6 150 bhp tows a 2500 pound trailer over the Aps twice every summer, 3000 km total - no problems except that the cooling system in this type of Audi is very bad regulated which means that the water temperature comes close to 100 deg. celcius when the out side temp is 35 deg. celcius, but accorduig to Audi, this is normal !!!

Jens

Reply to
Jens

...not "Aps" but "Alps" - sorry :-)

Jens

Reply to
Jens

My -98 A6 Avant/Q Tip 2.8 may tow up to 1900 kgs/2100 kgs with max. incline

12%/8% according to the manual (= approx. 4200lbs/4650 lbs). Guess it depends on engine/gearbox and quattro or not, but you should be well within your limits with any model. I'd go for quattro though, as FWD might not be the right choice for pulling up the ramp.

Regards Rune S.

Reply to
Rune Skigelstrand

It'd be pretty bad to get a brand new 6 stuck on a slippery ramp at low tide, and in three decades of boating I've had to drag all kinds of FWD and RWD vehicles off slippery (or just plain steep) ramps that they couldn't climb without help. otoh, I've never had to pull out anything that had all four wheels driven.

But I just can't see buying a brand new $30K-40K vehicle to dip in salt water. Not when two to three grand will buy a much more suitable vehicle in good enough shape to guarantee you'll get there and back, but cheap enough that you won't cry when it expires from cancer...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd - and a trusty rusty piece o' crap Pathfinder to drag my boat...

Reply to
daytripper

My Audi A6 Avant FWD TDI has a registered pulling capacity of ~3300 lbs. A quattro is usually allowed even higher pulling loads. Your boat would be breakfast to pull :-)

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

I should have said in my original post, but I don't plan on buying a new one. As I'm sure you know, a nice older model can be had for $10-15K. Part of this vehicle shuffling is also to reduce the number of cars we have. Three is a financial pain, four would suck.

Reply to
Kyle Tucker