A6 Avant ground clearance

Hi,
I'm just curious: what's A6 Avant ground clearance? From what I heard, Avant ground clearance is < 5in - is that true? Also, can Avant be had with underbody skid plates?
I have Subaru Forester...it has >7in and skid plate for rear differential.
Thanks, Boris

If you want an Audi equivalent of your Forester then I suggest you buy an Allroad and not an A6 Avant. The Allroad is basically and A6 Avant on stilts and can probably be fitted with underbody protection if it doesn't already have it.
HTH

Thanks for response. But Allroad is no longer sold in US, is it? Also, what's Adaptive Air Suspension in the A6?
Boris

Last production year forNorth America was 2005. Have you looked into a used vehicle?
John

I see. Maybe it's worth investigating...but I probably won't buy a new car for another year or two - by that time 2005 models will be 4-5 years old already.
Boris

True, but most owners of Allroads (including myself) take good care of them. Lots of people on this group have other Audis 15-20 years old and are still driving them.
In Canada, only about 300-400 were sold every year it was sold, making it somewhat uncommon and currently in demand as a used vehicle. When it was originally on the market, it was the best crossover vehicle out there (not only in appearance, but certainly in performance).
John Allroad 04

No idea, sorry. I'm in the UK where we get the new Allroad. Ugly beast to be honest but if it fits your requirements . . .
Have you asked AoA if they plan to re-introduce the Allroad at some point? The current A6 will probably be in production until 2010 so quite a but of life left in the model.

You quickly get used to larger ground clearance. For example, last weekend I went to a beach...all parking slots on pavement were occupied, so I parked my Subaru on a dirt road with small rocks - no problem...had it been a regular car I would have scratched its bottom for sure. But I'm tired of Subarus because their automatic transmissions suck - and I'm too lazy to drive stick. Audi's get great reviews (on edmunds.com and Consumer Reports), but it seems hard to get a rugged Audi (except for their SUV, of course).
Boris