a6 central locking vaccum pump

hi, the central locking on my 96 a6 has completely stopped working. i've checked the vaccum unit and found that when the lock\unlock button is pressed the relay energises but the pump fails to do anything. Is it possible to replace just the pump motor and not the entire unit ££££? if not does a new vaccum unit need to be coded

thanks in advance

chris

Reply to
Chris Moody

Hi Chris,

I have a 96 S6 and my vacuum pump had blown as well. The actual pump is located next to the battery under the rear passenger seat - you have to remove the battery to get at it and its wrapped in grey foam.

I picked up a used pump from a guy on the west coast of the states for US$60. My dealer was asking Cdn$630, about £280. I also looked around for used parts in UK (I'm a Brit in Canada) and found a part at 4 Rings Spares Ltd (01405 816661). E-mail tham at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com . They had one inc. vat and delivery for £100. The part number you are looking is 4A0 862 257G. The last letter may be a "J" thats OK. If the first three characters are different, that's not OK - this is part for RF type remotes - I assume you have the Infra Red type.

Be careful of the order of removing the connectors. My Bently CD states the middle connector must be removed first and replaced last. Not sure why but I followed those guides and replaced it easy enough.

The pump probably blew due to another problem. Look at the actuator on the driver side door (right hand drive car). The vacuum hose may have a hole there. Mine did and I've heard of this before from others. Unfortuately you may have to completely dismantle the door frame but its not too big a job - took me about 2.5 hours.

May I suggest you get the Bently and ETKA CDs. I picked both of them from online sources for about Cdn$100 and find them most useful.

Good luck

Tony Ottawa

Reply to
Tony Curran