A6 Front wheel bearing and discs

I Have a 98 A6 2.8 Quattro Avant ( uk car) with 143,000 full service history and running like a dream, except! I think the o/s front wheel bearing is getting a bit noisy and I have noticed the brake discs need will changing soon. Does anyone have any experience of these jobs (I am a reasonable mechanic) and are they a diy proposition, also where can I get hold of the Huge "Allen key" tool for taking the hubs off, is this a special Audi tool. any advice will be a great help. thanks. Graham Humphreys

Reply to
Graham Humphreys

The front brake work should be straight-forward, take off wheels, take off calipers, take off carriers, knock loose disks with large hammer (usually rusted onto hub face), replace pads and disks. You will need a

7mm allen to unbolt the calipers from the carriers. The bolts are actually the slider pins that the caliper moves on and have black plastic caps covering their heads. Using one of the lugs to hold the new disk onto the hub makes fitting Pads etc. much less awkward. Wire brush or sandpaper the contact surfaces of the hub before fitting or the disk may not mount up true and cause a brake pulsation. The front wheel bearing is another matter unless you have access to an arbor press. If you're competent to remove the strut assembly you could bring it to a workshop that has one, (and is willing to just do that part of the job).

best of luck douglas

Reply to
douglas