A6 Q: Dunlop or Continental

I've a choice between two tires for my 99' A6 Quattro: Dunlop SP Sport A2 (HR rated) and the Continental ContExtremeContact (VR rated); both are "All Season". Tire Rack "consumer ratings" seem to favor the Conti, but I was always under the impression that the sidewall in the Conti is softer; for a heavy car like the A6 this would be a concern.

Any personal experience / comments on these two tires ?

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony

No direct experience with these specific two, but you may find the ContiExtreme hard to get. The Continental CH95 works well with the A6 -- I have an H-rated set. Only complaint is they may be a bit noisier than some others.

The V-rated Extremes should have a slightly stiffer sidewall than the H-rated Dunlops. Sidewall stiffness usually goes up with speed rating, but some manufacturers may use softer sidewalls (Pirell comes to mind) on some models.

Good luck!

Reply to
Jay Somerset

I would definitely recommend the Continentals.

But *only* after winning a skating competition against Beelzebub. Prior to that, I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.

On a TT, they're good at being black and round. Nothing else. (Well, maybe stopping the exhaust from rubbing on the ground..)

They last a *lot* longer than S03s but, to be honest, going to S03s was a better performance upgrade than the chip (20% peak power upgrade).

Just to restate the obvious - IMHO, YMMV.

HTH

Hairy One Kenobi

Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion in the first place. So there!

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

I am quite happy with my Dunlop A2 Sports. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they did in yesterday's 6" snowfall

Reply to
JPB357

I'm surprised to hear this. I used to have the D60 A2s, which I assumed are the same, but they must have revised the tread pattern or the compound as the D60 A2's were atrocious in the snow. Conversely, they had stiff sidewalls, were reasonably durable and handled great in the wet and dry for an "all-season".

Stu

Reply to
Stu Hedith

The tread pattern is very different from the D2s.

Reply to
JPB357

I have the Dunlop Sport A2 tires on my '99 A6 Avant - Drove from Syracuse, New York, to Pittsburgh, PA last Thursday evening in very nasty snow and extremely frigid ( 3 to 4 degrees F) temps. No problems in mushy snow. For deep stuff, I would still go with dedicated snows. The Dunlops are excellent in the rain....smoother ride than the Continentals. Getting good tread wear with 20,000 miles usage. Been rotating tires every 5000 miles.

myoda

Yeah, last Thursday was crappy. I run Blizzaks for all of my North Country runs. It's the only way to really get the full benefit of the Quattro. Bring on the snow! In the summer I have Bridgestones on my A4Q2.8. I have also run the Dunlop's and have Michelins on both of my 100's. Continentals are retched. I cannot find a good thing to say about them.

Good luck.

Reply to
MGC