A6 Sunroof

The battery died on my 96 2.0 petrol yesterday and as I tried to jump it the sunroof opened. I replaced the battery and everything else works but the sunroof is still open! Tried the manual but its stiff and don't want
to risk damaging it. Any ideas?
My '97 A6 did the same thing....
To use the manual crank you have to wiggle it and push it in farther to disengage the gear from the electric motor drive, then it turns easily...
Howard