A6 Tires

Any suggestions for a good all season tire for my A6 (with the sport package)? I live in the Pacific NW so there's plenty of wet but minimal snow. I was considering a set of Bridgestone Turanza LS-H's. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
tajhayden

I highly recommend the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H's. I have had these on my

2001 A4 1.8T Quattro Sport for two years year-round in Chicago and they are simply great -- they just grip -- great cornering, no tire squeal, great wear.

Check out the comparison test at:

where the Turanza's really show their stuff on the wet skidpad! And with the Uni-T AQ construction, the tires will act the same even as they wear down.

Reply to
TonyKiz

Thanks Tony! I read the review and was impressed. I notice that every time someone gripes about snow traction, they are from a place that has "real" winters. It's pretty mild in the Pac NW so I should be okay. Thanks again!

Reply to
tajhayden

hi there..

from Northeast USA so we get everything for weather....

10 yrs ago .... I had bought a 1990 100Q and the Lawyer I bought it from told me Michelin XJ something's??? were the only tires that performed well and gave a nice ride for the combination mostly highway and little city driving he experienced.....

So....Checked em out...$280/ea way out of my league....but another buddy who had an A4, told me about the new Toyo Pro's ?? I think? ....at that time they were a brand new import item.........he had 2 other newer Audi's in the yard...so I figured I would check em out....

Glad I did ....AWESUM Tire....my 100Q loved em......and I only paid about $450 for 4 tires and 4whl alignment....

Have had 2 other Audi's since then (A4 & A6).....Toyo Pro's are my tire.....

Have an 99 A6Q now...............running Toyo Proxes TPT P215 X 60 X 15 and absolutely love them.....

weather is 42 and raining slightly....36 last nite......so it's coming.....enjoy your winter my Quattro w/Toyo's performs excellently and I'm NOT a casual driver....actually pretty hard on all my vehicles....but as this is my 7th Audi and 4th Quattro.....I'd never drive anything else....have started shopping (lookin')for my next ride and am now thinkin for my 7th Audi an A8.... so we shall see....

Good luck in your search....but you don't have to spend a fortune to get good performance.....the tire dealer that sold me the Toyo's was also a Bridgestone & Cooper dealer and he was raving about the Toyo's (Right around the time of the MASSIVE Firestone & Bridgestone tire recalls)

Let the group know what ya decide and how it works out....

pax... tiv

Reply to
Paul Tivnan

Thanks for the comments Paul. Here is another issue I am now dealing with. My mechanice (who I have been going to for 6 years) says that my

235/45ZR 17's are too big for my A6. Tire Rack and other sites list it as an optional wheel for the A6. What gives? Should I install wheel spacers if I decide to stay with the 17's? I like my rims and would not want to buy a completely new set. Thanks all!!
Reply to
Hayden

I ended up purchasing a set of Toyo Proxes 4 yesterday and I am pleased. We have used Toyo's before on our MB without any problems. As the rainy season has hit the Pacific NW, in a few weeks I will be able to comment on their wet traction performance.

Reply to
Hayden

I purchased a set of Dunlaps for my 2000 A6 based on a fair amount of research I did on web sites. As far as I can tell, the web sites must have been bogus because the tires are garbage. The car handles very poorly with these tires and given this I'd suggest staying away from the brand entirely. I know I will.

My two bits

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
Dougga

"Dougga" wrote

Which Dunlops? What tires did you have before?

There are many things that affect handling. Improper tire inflation, incorrect alignment, worn out suspension components to name a few...

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

My RS6 came with Dunlop SP9000 fitted, and I'm very happy with them.

Reply to
Peter Bell

I suspect the OP's Dunlaps were a cheap imitation :-)

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Morton