A6 V6-12V 97' - Rattle from front end of engine resolved..

Hello
Just to put out some information to people that are hearing lots of rattle at start-up of the V6-12V engine..
After listening to the bad sounds for too long I finally got to do the
work.. I dismounted the serpentine belt first to rule out the involved parts there.. However there was no change to the bad sounds..
I therefore dismounted the covers for the timing belt and found the cause.. A slack timer-belt... adjusting the timing belt tensioner made the horrible sounds disappear..
I can't blame any other than myself, as I changed the timing belt this spring.. Seems like the bolt-tension/ friction barely overcome the forces from the running timing belt.. It even got loose again just after having put on the covers again, so I had to redo the work..
A sunshine story in mid winter.. :-)
--

Regards

Ottar T

Maybe when you changed the timing belt, you didn't change the tensioners?
Always worth doing....

Changed tensioner, timing belt roller, water pump and thermostat.. So all were done by the book.. However I got a bit confused about if the tensioner should be rotated clockwise or anti clockwise to tension the belt.. There seem to be a difference between the 12V and the 24V as the later have an extra spring loaded tensioner system..
This time I chose to rotate the tensioner clockwise..
--
regards
Ottar T