A6 Vertical Front End Alignment?

I recently had my tires replaced on my '98 A6 Quattro. The most noticable wear was on the outer edge of the tread - right up to the sidewall.
The tireshop aligned the front end (horizontally), but the guy there is
telling me that there is still an issue where the front wheels are still not properly vertically aligned and I will need adjustable control arms installed to fix this problem. He commented that non adjustable control arms will not solve the problem.
Has anyone seen this type of problem before? Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis?
Any help or comments would be appreciated.

So....this tireshop guy moonlights for Audi's suspension design group - and now feels that a fleet-wide ECO is in order?
The expression "I don't think so, Tim" comes to mind...
Sometimes the easiest answer is the correct one: at what pressure do you run your front tires?
And do you enjoy flying around highway ramps as much as I do? ;-)
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd - and a stick of tire chalk...