A8 backlight on instrument cluster

I just had my instrument cluster replaced on my 2000 A8. When the car is on, but the head lights are off, should the speedometer, gas gauge, temperature gauge and tachometer be back lit? Something definitely seems different than before but the dealership claims that it should not be back lit. The only part that is illuminated is the center rectangle where the NAV displays. It does backlight when you turn the headlights on.

-al

Reply to
Alan Sung

Alan, IME, when the headlights are off, the instrument lights are as well. That holds for all of my cars (even the DKWs) and wife's Honda. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

temperature

This is a programmable setting of the Instrument Cluster (well at least on the newer Audis). The A8 of the that vintage may have these settings. It sounds by your description that your car does. You need to get the settings changed using VAG-COM or the like.

This link is for the B6 A4 but it will give you the idea.

Hope this helps

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding