A8 stalls, check engine light constantly on

Hi,

yesterday I was driving down the road after going for appr. 25 miles and the engine stalled all of a sudden. There was no noise or any other sign of problems. The car just shut off, radio and heater still on. After starting the engine again, I was able to continue.

Today, after exiting the highway, the car stalled again. After starting the engine, the "Check Engine: light stayed on. Again, no signs of any other trouble.

The Audi dealers in the area have no slots available right now, the wait is at least several days. I'm not sure if I can safely drive this car anymore.

Any ideas what it could be?

THANKS!

Reply to
Trouble

Ideas? Like, get the fault codes using a scanner? Naw, that's too easy!

Then post the the codes and someone will probably be able to tell you what to do.

Reply to
PeterD

Sorry, I didn't know this was an all-pro discussion board. However, I did go to a shop and they came up with an error code of 1139. They exchanged some valve and that (and $300) took care of the problem.

Reply to
Trouble

It's not a board, it's a usenet group. And with Audi, because of OBD, the code the car spits out is a very important part of diagnosis. You can guess and throw parts at the car until you're hip-deep in credit-card charges and still not get it right.

The code is essential as a starting place. This ain't the '60s any more.

And then, if you go and look up the code, you'll get what's going on with the car, so you can pick the parts to throw at it...

...and if the part is easy to get to, and you have some spare time, you can save yourself the labor cost to put it in.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero