ABS and Brake Light - On

Am about to turn 100K on my '99 A-6 2.8. Got it 4-1/2 years ago with 41K. just recently, am getting both ABS and Brake light on (after the sounding off of the 3 bells)..
Preliminary "look-see" indicates the ABS module is "out-of-sink" - mechanic said "it might be time to trade-the-A6-in".. "this" might be EXPENSIVE.... bo-hooooo "if this thing ever goes wrong - you replace THE WHOLE THING!! - he said (not just the bad part (or circuit/chip).. he showed me the Unit, adding that it had a $2K price tag new;;; Used price, Not sure yet ?? hummmm But CRAP!! any comments/help/advice? Virginia/USA
AudiiWorld forums have a number of threads on the ABS module failure phenomenon.
there is a vendor called ModuleMaster with a link in this thread: http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2068674.phtml
Some have good luck others not but it is a much cheaper alternative than the dealer.
TonyJ