ABS question, mechanically oriented.

Page 2 of 2

be
bring
is
Fair enough - I've only ever seen the converse (usually down to corrosion on a car that's been stood "for a while"). Particularly the sliding type at the rear (e.g. Ford Sierra Cosworth)
Mind you, I'm also having difficulty understanding how someone wouldn't /notice/ one of their brakes jammed on (two, I can understand, but one..!)
I take your point, though.
H1K

on
the
If it's been *sitting* for a long time, you're correct. They can get stuck *in*, but a hefty push on the pedal will usually dislodge them (thus getting them stuck *out*! ;^) ).

A couple of things. In the rear, you'd only notice a slight drag. In the front, if the car's got a negative scrub radius (IIRC, Audis do), then you *also* might not notice. -- C.R. Krieger "Ignore 'em, m'dear; they're beneath our dignity." - W.C. Fields
Bascally you have a powerful motor that is pushing UP on your brake pedal for 1/25th of a second allowing the wheel to turn, then allowing your brakes to lock again due to your foot pressure. These have been in cars since 1993.

went
say
Mike writes:

Uhhhhh, you're about ten years late. I was driving abs in 1986. Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
Forgot to add..... abs was around before that (1986).
Dave

Jensen FF, 1966. Also the first production road car with AWD and traction control, IIRC.
H1K