Adding Daytime Running Kights: 1998 A6 Quattro

Is there an easy/cheap way to modify a 1998 A6 for daytime running lights (DRL)? I would seem that all one really needs to do is jumper the front foglight terminals on the headlamp switch.

How does the lower left part of the dash/fascia come off? Is the switch easily removed? Has anyone ever done this?

The dealer wants 4 hours worth of labor to do this -- about $350 worth.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

Why do you need daytime running lights?

Reply to
David

Yes I do. The car has been exported to Canada, where they are a Federal requirement. Can't get the car licensed without them.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

It has been showed by statistics in both Sweden and Denmark where it has been mandatory for many years now, that DRL lowers the number of serious accidents during day time, so it is a good idea even it's not mandatory in your country.

Rgds

Jens

Reply to
Jens

Indeed. I tend to turn my headlights on in the daytime. As well as the safety aspect, there has been some suggestion that Xenon headlights may upset laser speed detection devices.

It would be helpful to have the headlights turned on automatically for use as DRLs in the hope that this wouldn't cause the Nav+ screen to automatically go into 'nighttime' mode.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Having left Canada because of over regulation.....

Hmmmmm, I'd double check >

Reply to
David

I have -- the regulation applies to all cars less than 15 years old that are imported into Canada.

Unfortunately there isn't. It is a 4-hour procedure to have an Audi dealer do the necessary modifications (on a 1998 A6Q).

I took the dash apart today to see if i could do it myself. I decided not to, after getting everything apart, as it would mean pulling the headlight switch, and jumpering the multipin connector. There is not enough slack cable on it for me to do safely, so i just put it all back together, and will bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. That way if anyone screws up, it will be their insurance who will have to fix it.

BTW, the procedure for removing the driver's side underdash cited in an earlier post is slightly incorrect (for my car). The 1998 A6Q instructions follow...

There are four 8mm hex bolts to remove -- no screws. Two are located at the bottom corners of the panel. They may or may not have caps over them. The third is accessible only after removing the fuse block cover from the left side of the dash. The fourth is to the right of the streering wheel, hidden behind the piece of trim directly above the steering column, between it and the speedo cluster. This trim piece is removed by prying gently upwards.

The bottom of the dash cover is held in place at the front by two clips -- it just pulls straight out of them. BUT, you first have to remove the VAG socket, and remove the two wires that go to the convenience light that is located in the dash cover just ahead of the pedals. They are spade connectors that pull right off. Reassembly is just the reverse, and is easier than the removal.

Reply to
Jay Somerset