Advice please on an A4 convertible Test Drive (CVT transmission question).

Today I test drove an A4 Convertible with 80,000 miles. It was in exceptional shape and performed very well. The only problem I noticed was when the vehicle was reduced to a low speed, and then some gas was
applied, the transmission (CVT) would grab noticeably, kind of like shifting a standard using almost no clutch. You could actually kind of feel the transmission bounce. Under hard acceleration, no noticeable problems. Can anyone advise me whether to suspect a defect, or is this just a characteristic of this transmission? Thanks. Len

The DSG transmission in my A3 3.2 does the same thing. It operates the clutch like an amateur - lurching at light throttle and bumping redline at full throttle.
At least on my car, the problem is temporarily reduced by coming to a full stop then releasing the brake without throttle until the clutch is fully engaged. After that it's usually better behaved for the rest of the drive.