Air con smell/leak and wet carpet

Hi

Can any one help please?

I've noticed when getting in my car in the morning there is a musty smell, which I've read might be the aircon but it's getting quite bad now. It's like an oily smell.

Looking around inside the car for anything that might be causing the smell (spilt food/drinks), I found under the passenger seat was soaking wet (not caused by spilt drink !!!)

Not been raining either, the weather in UK has been great recently so the aircon has been on LO for the last couple of weeks.

Any ideas why the carpet should be soaked? Is it the aircon pipes and water condensation, but why wet inside the car.

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards.

Reply to
ILS

If it is related to the air conditioning, there is a drain line running from inside the car/under the condenser body to the outside. If it is plugged or kinked, that could cause condensate to end up on the passenger side floor.

I wouldn't think it'd explain an oily smell though...

Reply to
daytripper

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Perhaps oily was not the right description but it's a bit sharper than the usual air-con musty smell. Perhaps it's the carpet going manky.

Thanks and Regards

Reply to
ILS

your post made me look under my seat/carpets, cos like you I have been running my aircon/climate control for a few weeks and at the beginning of this week noticed stinky smell just after starting up.

I didn't find any water/dampness and the smell was not there last night.....perhaps it was just the local SS stirring the pot.

er

Reply to
Eric Shune

A smell when starting up isn't unusual- it's bacteria in the piping. You can buy an aerosol from Halfords that will help cure that.

Reply to
Chris Bartram