air conditioning problem in 1989 200 turbo

Hi everyone, Thanks to this site my husband was able to repair my car's brake problem for $100 and in about 20 minutes after the German repair shops
were unable to even diagnose the problem. Thank you all! I have a new issue now: I took my 1989 200 turbo in to have the air conditioning recharged at a local garage. They found no leaks when it was pressure tested and feel that there is an electrical problem which they're unwilling to touch. Possibly a switch or sensor. The air has never worked since I bought the car in the spring. We've also been looking for a window regulator for the passenger window without success and, even though summer's almost over, I need at least one or the other working. Any ideas? Thanks! Jan
First the window regulator. If you are replacing it because it doesn't work then your problem is more likely electrical than the regulator itself. A number of electrical functions in the car are controlled be switches in the driver's door. What happens is the wires that route through a rubber accordion in the hinge area get broken due to flexing over time. I would look there first and repair any bad wires.
AC: First check the outside air re-circulator flap up behind the glove box. The spring that closes it is very likely to break or the plastic mount for the spring breaks. Either replace the spring or fashion a coat hanger in the shape of the letter M to re-mount the spring. You will get the idea when you look at it.
While in there check from the top side to be sure the vacuum hose is attached to the vacuum servo that operates the flap. You need to be sure that all the vacuum components are functioning and that there are no leaks in order for the system to operate.
Also, while the glove box is removed check the operation of the cable that runs from a black box through the firewall. That cable operates the hot / cold air flap in the blower cage just in front of the windshield and under the black plastic rain shield cover. Operation can be checked by turning the AC on and observing the movement of the cable.
Check these things first and get back to use if it doesn't correct the problem. There are other things to check but they get a bit more complicated.
Amigo wrote:

Hi Tony, Thank you for the quick response. The window not working has been checked by two shops and both said it wasn't the switch but was the regulator. Both seemd surprised because apparently they don't 'go' very often. It's also been checked for broken wires, etc. A new one at the dealership is $650 and for the only used one we could find the guy wanted $500. Have been watching eBay but no luck. I should probably elaborate on the air problem. It tested at 50 pounds pressure. When I put the climate control to 'auto' it does blow out lots of air, it's just not cold. The compressor doesn't come on at all, though. I spoke to the mechanic again and he mentioned a module possibly being the problem but, of course, knows nothing about Audis. Should I still look for the things you mentioned? It sounds like that's what I would do if there were no air blowing, rather than if it's just not coming on. Thanks again. Jan
Regulator again: It could still be either the switch in the driver's door or the passenger door. At this point I think you should pull the passenger side door panel (really not a bad job at all) and check with a volt meter to see if power is getting to the regulator. If it is then I agree the regulator is probably bad. If not you still have to trace where the power is getting interrupted.
The reason I would be supprised to see the regulator be the problem is that they are usually good unless you have heard a grinding noise when they were operating. Also the passenger side is not used as much as the drivers side wo is not often a problem.
AC: At this point there get to be a number of things that could be the problem. If you and your husband are confident with DIY mechanics and electronics then it is worth a try troubleshooting. OTOH if you are not that comfortable with the auto tech stuff it might be a project best done at an auto AC repair shop.
Things that could be involved: climate control controller bad AC compressor clutch Bad AC relay (relay box in front of driver side windshield problem with outside temp sensor problem with engine coolant temp sensor bad idle or WOT switch on throttle body
The control on the dash has its own diagnostics. If you have a manual you can interrogate it to see if it can give you clues to its problem.
You might want to search the history on the AudiWorld forum for T44 series. http://forums.audiworld.com/v8 / (don't worry about the V8 it is for all T44s. Lots of poster with lots of knowledge. this has been discussed repeatedly for years on that forum.
Amigo wrote:

Thanks again Tony! Yeah, the window thing is odd. It was like that when I bought it, though, so I don't know what happened. I guess we'll have to take the panel off, I'm just worried about getting it back on properly. The air cond. might have to wait until next year. Or the next owner. I love this car but it's been nothing but repairs ever since I got it. Our 100 has 10,000 more kms but just seems to be a better car. They both have fairly low mileage, mine has 160,000 kms, but it's just a money pit and I worry every time I drive it about what else needs to be done. Anyway, thank you for the air cond. help, hopefully my husband can figure it out. The mechanic did check the relays and fuses, I'd forgotten to mention that. Jan
Quick tutorial on the door panel: - small screw on the back and front of the panel at the top. - small screw in black plastic triangle by rear view mirror and remove it - remove door lock plunger - small plastic cover in the door handle release. remove and small screw - pry off the plastic trim '/' on the arm rest and remove screw under it - another screw on the arm rest - pop panel off and be careful to unplug the wires
'Assembly is the reverse' :-)
Amigo wrote:

Tony, you're wonderful, thank you! I might even have the guts to try it myself. My daughter took it in to detail it today- she works in a detailing shop- I'm amazed how great a 17 year old car can look. The paint feels like glass. It even seemed to make the red look brighter. It's really incredible how well these cars are made. It looks like it's 2 years old. Anyway, while she was there it started stalling. Turns out the coil wire was burnt up/gone at the distributor end. We had replaced the plugs and cap a few months ago but not the wires. By some miracle an after market store had a set of wires that someone had ordered and not picked up. We replaced it on the spot and now it's fine. Always an adventure with this car. Jan

AC Problem:
Have a look at this site http://www.20v.org/climate.htm for information regarding A/C fault codes. You will be able to interrogate the climate control head and find out what's causing your problems. I would guess it's G62, the coolant temp sensor that's gone faulty (quite common), as described here http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/ac.html#acomp but an interrogation of your CC head will tell you.
The window problem, as has already been mentioned, could still be a broken wire in the loom as it passes through the drivers door rubber bellows. Where they flex, the insulation cracks and allows moisture into the wire, which eventually breaks. A continuity check of the relevant wires will detect this, using the wiring diagram available here http://www.audi200.org.uk/200tech.htm
Hope that helps
Ian www.audi200.org.uk
Hmmm, Ian, interesting stuff! I checked the codes and came up with the vertical line and 01 then a 09 without the line. It sounds like you're right, the coolant temperature sensor. Possibly the inside temperature sensor. Thank you so much for the links. It looks so pretty and drives so nice, if I can get these things fixed I might actually keep the little bugger. The turbo keeps getting better and better, too. I could barely get it to 1.0 when I bought it, after 6 years of storage, but now it'll go up to 1.5, no problem. It's somewhat sluggish off the line, my husband's 2.3 litre Audi 100 is faster, but once it hits 3,000 rpm, you'd better have a neck brace on. Jan

If the coolant temp sensor (component G62 on the wiring diagram), is faulty the a/c compressor won't engage. It's on the cylinder head shown at http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/10vcoolt.html it is the one labelled ECU temp sensor in the photo.
Good luck
Ian
--
www.audi200.org.uk