Aircon probs - Audi 100 CD 1985

Hi group

Well, the a/c on our Audi's never been briliant, but there have been more pressing matters to see to :-)

Now I've reached a point where I can be bothered to see about the a/c. Thing is, there's a cable hanging down into the pasenger footwell that controls the vent that affects airflow; the same cable also affects temperature. It looks very much like a cable for cycle brakes, but with a loop at the end that should obviously attach to *something* - problem is, what and where?:-)

The Haynes manual only touches upon the a/c system - and there seems to be no exploded diagrams - so if any of you lads/ladies have any idea about this one I'd be very grateful.

Reply to
Chris G.

Chris, Up behind the glovebox there's the servo pack for the climate control system. On the top of the black box there's a lever arm that rotates to pull and push the cable. The usual failure mode is that the gears driving the level strip, but I guess the pin through the cable loop could break as well, but the cable housing should be held onto the box by a spring clip. Could you be missing the entire servo box? Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

Great stuff, Steve :-)

It's quite possible that the whole servo unit could have gone AWOL as it seems that the mechanical parts of the a/c have been "fixed" by some muppet or other in the past - I'll get down and have a look at it tomorrow and report back for interest's sake.

Thanks for the tip :-)

-- Chris : )

Reply to
Chris G.

Chris, The "servo pack" I mentioned is shown here:

's upside down in the picture - the bowden cable is the one with the loop on the end around the lever.Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

That's just brilliant, Steve, cheers :-)

Reply to
Chris G.