All Season Tires

Need to purchase new tires for my 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro. I live in the east coast so I'm looking for tires that perform well in the snow. Ride/Noise comfort is more important to me than handling. Can anyone recommend a good
tire for my needs? I've checked out www.tirerack.com but still can't make a decision. Lots of mixed reviews on several tires I've looked at.
Thanks!
Something that does everything doesn't do anything well. "All season" means they suck in all seasons. Snow tires are for snow, and in the long run, cost NOTHING. Why not actually *call* the Tirerack and talk to one of the folks. Explain your concerns. It's what they do.

I agree. Give Gary at TireRack a call. He knows Audis well (drives an A4 actually), and will be able to help you decide.
Cheers,
Pete
John P. writes:

All season tires? No such thing, unless you live in a no-snow area. Quattro will allow you to go just about anywhere with all seasons, but stopping can be a problem. My suggestion (if you do live in a snow area) is to buy 4 steel wheels and mount a good snow tire on them (Nokia Hakkapeliitas, Blizzacs, etc). They are not very expensive and will last several winters. I've been driving Quattros for more than 20 years and I always mount snows on all four corners.
Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Howling with the crowd I would also recommend getting a set of steels and winter tires.
In fact you save money by doing this. My summer and winter tire set is worn after 4 seasons each. All Seasons driven all year will only hold half of that because they are used twice as much (i.e. during both seasons). Saving the cost of changing the rubber on the wheels alone will pay off your extra set within two years.
Regards
Wolfgang
--
* Audi A6 Avant TDI *
* reply to wolfgang dot pawlinetz at chello dot at *

Then buy a set of *snow tires*!

That's because 'all season' tires don't do *anything* well. It is a better idea to get a dedicated set of snow tires mounted on steel (or cheaper alloy) wheels and put decent 3-season street tires on your OEM wheels. *Call* Tire Rack (It's toll free.) and *talk to someone*. They can get you through this a lot faster than reading reviews. They may even have some specials you don't necessarily see on the website. -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)
C.R. Krieger wrote:

At the risk of bucking the crowd....
Yokohama Avids are a nice compromise that happen to not be very expensive. They grip well in the dry, get acceptable rain/snow traction, and are quiet. You should be able to get them for less than US$100/corner.
However, with that said, I would recommend an extra set of wheels with snows also.
Cheers,

Nobody here uses all year tyres, or snow chains, they are no good. We use summer tyres, and winter (snow) tyres, or some places even studded tyres.

Couldn't let that one go ;o)
All-seasons are pretty good here[1] - it's all a matter of climate ;o)
--

Hairy One Kenobi

I use Bridgestone Turanza LH series all-season tires on my A4 Quattro Sport and am very pleased with them all year round.